Remove Fan assembly, How?

Hi all,

83 CJ7, I6, 258

I'm removing stuff to put my mpi on and the seamingly simple things prove difficult. How do you remove the fan assembly from the motor? There are bolts that hold the fan to the piece it's mounted to and there are bolts which bolt into the Drive Pulley. I've loosened those to the drive pulley and the fan assemly remains. Should it just come off? Should I bang it with a rubber mallet to get this thing off?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Also, what's that BiMetallic Coil Spring for? I pulled it off (opps) by accident.

Thanks,

Reply to
William Oliveri

Fan clutch thermostat, put it back on :)

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The fan should slide forward until it clears the shaft coming out of the water pump. i find it easier to remove the studs that the fan was bolted to or remove the radiator and then the fan. i remove the radiator because i have a 3-core and hardly any room. btw, i have an

85 cj7

ps. don't bang on it! you'll probably break the water pump!

Reply to
serg