'98 Tacoma, Blower Motor Squirrel Cage Broke Again

Hi- I have a '98 Tacoma where the circulation (vent/heat/AC) blower broke. The actual motor was ok, it was just that the plastic squirrel cage broke off of the motor shaft. Unfortunately, the plastic along the center axis of the cage is molded onto the metal shaft of the motor, so I couldn't just replace the cage. I tried in desparation to use composite to mold it back on, but since it was slightly off axis, it flew apart within seconds when I started the fan.

I ordered the new assembly from Kragen, but they were so stupid that they just ordered the plastic squirrel cage (even though I paid for the whole thing), to which I tossed the broken one on the counter and asked how the hell was I supposed to put that onto the metal shaft. They gave me my money back and I searched for a few hours calling junkyards and finally found an old motor from a '96 that fit (the cage was a bit more poorly designed, giving lesser flow, but otherwise it was the same). I plugged it in and it has worked fine for over a year.

However, the other day, the same thing happened. The plastic cage flew off of the motor shaft, so now I am back to where I was a year and a half ago. It didn't occur to me then, but are these things covered under the 100K mi. extended warranty? My truck only has 85K mi. on it. I am just wondering, because maybe I should just plead ignorance and put the thing back together. I can imagine them being hard assed about me pulling the thing out myself (3 screws and a 3-prong plug, no big deal). Do I have to find some kind of paperwork when I bought the truck or can I just call in and give them my name and go from there? Maybe I should just search the auto wreckers again, hoping there is a better supply this time? Paying $110+ for the whole new assembly just seems ridiculous. Thanks.

Reply to
zach

Most likely, your 100k warranty runs out at 6 years, but they vary. Yes, it's covered in most warranties.

Reply to
Dan G