Identify rear axle/differential in 93 Suburban 1500 C

93 Suburban 1500 C has GT4/G80 which is 3.73 limited slip differential axle. Shop manual talks about several rear axles - 8.5", 9.5", 10.5".... Ring Gears and they all have different lubricant capacities. Short of dropping the cover, how does one determine which one?

I've had my differential oil changed before but am going to try to do it myself this time. Is there a gasket that needs replacing? Thanks.

Reply to
resers

I found out that if the differential cover has 10 bolts, as mine does, it is a 8 1/2 " ring gear. And yes, there is a gasket involved.

Reply to
resers

Found this website that has helped me out a little. Might help you in this case too!

Goes by your RPO code on the gear ratio and has pictures of what your cover looks like to let you know which axle you have.

Reply to
Daveman

Just looked at the site above. Lots of errors that I can see and I'm not an expert.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Every vehicle has a sticker listing all RPO codes. in Glovebox??One will tell that ratio,its how we found ours you need the master list of late model RPO codes let my dad (us)know.

Reply to
dillon89