Loose Hubcaps - '99 Silverado

I have a problem with the center hubcaps on my '99 1/2 ton, new body style, Silverado coming loose. These are attached to the steel, chrome plated wheels via black plastic nuts which screw onto the wheel's lug nuts. (I assume that whoever rotated the tires over tightened the plastic nuts and stripped some of the threads.) I would occasionally hand-tighten the loose ones, but recently one of the caps came off while on a trip. At about $85 from the dealer or $35 online each, I want to prevent this from happening again.

Does someone have a suggestion as to what kind of "stuff" to use on the threads to prevent them from coming loose, but still allow them to be removed when necessary?

TIA, Harry

Reply to
Harry

. . ===== =====

2004, 5:26pm From: snipped-for-privacy@none.none (Harry)

I have a problem with the center hubcaps on my '99 1/2 ton, new body style, Silverado coming loose. These are attached to the steel, chrome plated wheels via black plastic nuts which screw onto the wheel's lug nuts. (I assume that whoever rotated the tires over tightened the plastic nuts and stripped some of the threads.) I would occasionally hand-tighten the loose ones, but recently one of the caps came off while on a trip. At about $85 from the dealer or $35 online each, I want to prevent this from happening again.

Does someone have a suggestion as to what kind of "stuff" to use on the threads to prevent them from coming loose, but still allow them to be removed when necessary?

TIA, Harry ========= =========

A dab of silicone gasket material.

as long as the threads aint real stripped.

MarshMonster ~:~ ======= =======

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Reply to
Sinecure

GULP!! I couldn't tell from the pix if they were the chrome or silver ones (I needed the chrome.) However, I had already received mine from ehubcap.com by that date. I think I had checked ebay twice without finding any before ordering. Maybe a little procrastination would have been beneficial this time.

Cheers, Harry

Reply to
Harry

MarshMonster:

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try.

Cheers, Harry PS: I sent a reply yesterday but for some reason it appears to have disappeared into thin air!

Reply to
HarryB