Ping "DOC" Question

Doc,

Something strange happened. I started my '91 Astro Van a couple weeks ago after letting it set for about 5 weeks, started right up. I moved it about 50' and put it in park to idle for a few minutes while I got my junk together... it sat there idling perfectly for 4 or 5 minutes, then suddenly the idle went up high as if someone was gently pushing on the gas pedal, then the "Check Engine" light came on and it started loading up, blowing black smoke from the tailpipe, running really rough and eventually conking out... now it won't start. I put a new cap and rotor on it because the old ones looked pretty worn... still won't start. It's getting plenty of gas because you can smell it after cranking it a few times, but it's like it's not getting any fire. Got any ideas?

-Buck F.

Reply to
Buck F.

I'm not Doc, but it sounds like a bad TBI gasket or something similar. Look for a major vacuum leak.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

Reply to
Bobo

A. Throttle position sensor

B. I have noticed the throttle body itself on many TBI engines loosening. Check the 3 bolts on the top that secure it, although I doubt thats it, since it happened all of a sudden.

C. Idle air control

Reply to
Jason Cothran

Buck,

Follow this link and pull the codes.

You'll probably find a code 15, coolant temp sensor like bobo suggested. If she's blowing black, she's running rich, and either the CTS or O2 are to blame.

Pull the codes, let us know what you find.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Vacuum leaks don't cause black smoke (sign of running rich). Even withthe excess air from a vacuum leak the injectors just open up to even out the mixture. If he's blowing black it's an EFI component.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Inline..............

Wouldn't cause a problem at idle.

Wouldn't cause black smoke.

Wouldn't cause black smoke.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

O2 sensor could have gone south, or wire shorted to exhaust pipe, will cause 'extremely lean' reading and the ECM will rich it out to the max

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Have seen it the culprit many namy times causing high idle, but not the rich smoke problem

Agreed

Could easily

Reply to
Jason Cothran

How ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Magic maybe?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks for the link, I'll pull the codes as soon as I can and get back to you.

Thanks,

-Buck F.

Reply to
Buck F.

The idle air control valve works by opening/closing a trim valve to alter the airflow into the intake when the throttle is closed. If it is not allowing enough air into the engine, that would cause a rich condition. Not likely of course, as the PCM should respond by simply lowering the idle, unless through failure of the valve or sticking from extreme builup, it can't be lowered enough.

All that being said, I think the shorted O2 sensor wire sounds most likely as the problem, since it happened a few minutes after the engine was running. Perhaps the amount of time needed for the exhaust to heat up to the point where it would melt through the insulation.

Reply to
Jason Cothran

He also mentioned that it still wont start. O2 wouldn't have an effect on that.

You need to take a look at the coolant temp sensor. It's located next to the thermostat, just to the left as you look in from under the hood. It should have two wires plugged into it, probably black and yellow. I'm assuming here that your engine is a 4.3 litre. Most of the time the problem is a corroded connector. Give the connector a good cleaning, then put it on and take it back off a few times. If that fixes it, great. If not, get an ohm meter and check the resistance across the two terminals in the sender. It should measure between a few hundred and a few thousand ohms, depending on the temperature. If it reads the same as an open circuit, replace it. Corrosion is far more common.

BTW, to clear out a flood and get it to start, hold your foot flat on the floor while you crank. It shuts off the injectors.

Reply to
John Alt