Hey doc

Doc,

I am just about ready to start the fuel injection PITA on my sb400 and I found this nice little setup and was wondering what you thought of it.

I am not building a powerhouse. I am pretty much retiring my 4.3 cause it just doesn't have the towing power I need these days. I had talked to you a while back about the edelbrock multiport injection system but I really don't want to spend the 2 grand on it. Parts america has this holley setup for around 800 bucks.

Side

Reply to
sidewinder

I don't think it's gunna feed her as much as she's gunna need bud. You'd have to be really trying to get that 400 CID to put out 275 horsies or less. If it were me I'd go with the 900 cfm, 4-barrel Holley Commander (P/N

950-21) which is rated for 350-500 horsepower.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

That is something I need to check into still. The block has been punched out .30 and I have a set of 9.6-1 pistons in her. Do you know off the top of your head how many horsies a stocker 400 would normally put out?

Reply to
sidewinder

IIRC, my '74 sb400 2bbl was rated at 265HP. H

Reply to
Hairy

With a set of decent heads and a mild cam, probably 350 HP+. It will surely exceed the 275HP the system you're looking at is rated for.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

sidewinder

With a mild cam that combo will produce about 330 horse and over

400 ft. lbs. of torque below 4,000 rpm. I'd rather be blown than injected, fuel injection is great for efficiency and emissions but a good carb/manifold combo can't be beat
Reply to
Mad Dog

sidewinder

I had one of those Holley fuel injection setups right after they came out. I know they have been redesigned several times, ( different somputer and software ), but they still have one major flaw! It does NOT have a closed loop cycle to let you get home after it quits working. Second problem is trying to trouble shoot them. It does not have a way to store codes, let alone read them. Third problem is replacement parts. I waited 6 months for a replacement injector just so I could sell the POS. If you really want injection, get a harness for a GM TBI setup. I got mine from Street & Performance in Mena, Arkansas. (

). There are several others out there that make harnesses also. Check with Holley before you lay out the cash. My 2 cents worth of experience.

Brent

Reply to
Brent Popp