Problem - 97 GMC Jimmy

Posting this for a co-worker. His wife has a 1997 GMC Jimmy that will at times just cut off while driving. It always cranks right back up. They have had the spark plugs, the EGR valve changed. The fuel pump has been ruled out by 2 mechanics (I had figured it would be this as my 97 C1500 as well as 2 of my friends 97's have all had to have fuel pumps replaced). Can I get any more ideas or things they can look for or try??

Thanks David

Reply to
David Nelms

Vapor lock?

Reply to
Jason Cothran

I just had a similar situation.... w/ 60K miles on this GMC 2.2L Sonoma (I've only had it since 58K miles), I ended up replacing the plug wires on this 2.2L in my GMC Sonoma.

It cleared up my erratic missing, I had replaced my spark plugs... but that didn't help the problem. It had been getting worse for the past several days... and on my way home 2 nights ago... the 'check engine' light came on! I stopped by our local Autozone and asked them to give me a code scan... it showed the # 2 cylinder had been missing and that the cause was either a plug, ignition wire... or ignition module.

I elected to change the wires first since they were past due for a change. Bingo! That cleared it up! I did double check all of my spark plugs in the process... but I found them in good shape.

I wish you well! Let me know how you end up curing the problem. I'm always willing to learn something... if I can!! :)

Jack

Reply to
jalin

how did they 'rule out' the pump ?