question about starter problem

Hi guys. On my '95 with 125K miles, once in a while the starter grind a little then spin up, without turning over the motor. It doesn't happen often but I'm sure it will get worse. What would cause that to happen to a normally working starter? Is is something I can fix before it goes out all together? Clean, lube, replace contacts, or something like that? Thanks a lot, Brian.

Reply to
Brian

happen to a

Well, you don't have a normally operating starter. And before long, you won't have a normally operating flywheel either. Take the warning that you have been getting. Get a new starter in there as the drive on this one is weak, sloppy, chewed up, or bound up. If it were me I would personaly go over every tooth on that flywheel and remove any burrs.

PS. This can happen due to normal wear and tear. But it happens regularly when folks hit the starter with the motor running. And sometimes a wife or girlfriend won't tell you they did it. Just fix it because these things all cost a bundle when not caught in time.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Thanks Al. Actually, what I meant by "normally operating" was "usually working". :-) Thanks for the info. BTW, nobody else drives my truck so I guess it is due to normal wear. The starter spins up great, as always. I wonder if something in there is binding. I'll have to investigate... Brian.

Reply to
Brian

A little grit in the right place can stop the plunger fork from fully traveling. A good clean up might be all it needs. To get maximum life from a starter, beef up grounds. Run a cable from engine block to frame rail, relocate negative battery cable away from alternator bracket, ground to block, not painted bracket.

Reply to
451ctds

working". :-)

engine

My experience with GM starters has been that you can't depend on them beyond 100,000 miles and perhaps five years time. With me it's usually the solenoid that goes first. Rather than repair that I just put a replacement assembly. Whatever you do you must not let that starter tear up the flywheel. PS. If there are not actually teeth missing from the flywheel you can carefully clean up the damage and a new drive will work.

Reply to
Al Bundy