Running problem, 1986 Suburban

Hey everybody -

I've got this 86 Suburban C20 with a 454 engine. I don't drive it much, and it sits for a month or two at a time. Last time I drove it, all was well for the first hour or so, and then it just started acting funny. It would start and idle fine, and running up the accelerator under no load was fine, but under load it missed quite a bit. It wasn't particular doggy, and I didn't have any trouble getting up to or maintaining speed. But I'd push down on the gas and it would hesitate, and then suddenly roar into life. Automatic transmission, if it matters.

Any general ideas what is going on? I put a new fuel pump on within the last 10k miles (although that was two years ago).

Thanks -

edge

Reply to
edge

Fuel filter? Old gas?

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Shouldn't be the gas, as last time I stored it was with Stabil, and then the most recent tank was within the last month. But still. I'll start with the fuel filter and see what that does. Thanks -

edge

Reply to
edge

Okay, I replaced the fuel filter, the air filter, the crankcase breather filter and two vacuum lines, and nothing made any difference. Same symptoms, bogs down and hesitates (sounds funny, kind of hollow) when you accelerate gently, then after a certain point takes off. Hard to tell if it's really missing, as the exhaust manifold is cracked and it pops a bit anyway.

Any help appreciated.

edge

Mike C> Fuel filter? Old gas?

Reply to