s-10 engine swap 2.5L to v-6

I have an 89 s-10 base truck. There it nothing in this truck but a motor, tranny, 4 wheels, that's about it. It has the 2.5L 4 cylinder and it's in decent shape. The truck has become a project toy now. The first question I have is what v-6 options do I have to bolt up to the standard 5 speed? I was told by a parts counter person that the 2.8 will do the trick, and that's fine, but I wanted to get as much information before I did anything. The first step is the compatability to the tranny, then comes the questions like what do I need etc etc.

Reply to
Roger

On 20 Jan 2004 11:54:17 -0800, Roger put forth the notion that...

I've got a 2.8 in my Blazer, and it probably doesn't have much more power than your 4-banger.

Reply to
Checkmate

Step one: Counter guy don't know ____. The 2.8 is the only oddball Chevy put out, needing it's own transmission. The one you have in it will bolt right up to a 4.3.

Two: 2.8's suck in ways too numerous to count. Your much better off with the Iron Duke 4 cylinder they put in it the year before (I think they were 87-88). IF you are going to swap, go to the 4.3.

Three: Sell yours and get one with a 4.3. The later models that came with the 4.3 have bigger brakes and other mods that you should do if you want a safe, reliable vehicle. I'd suggest that since the motor runs, leave it in there, fix it up, and sell it. The changes needed for a 4 to

6 swap are numerous, and can be found at several s 10 sites, like at s- 10.org, I think.
Reply to
John Alt
350 Smallblock with TH350 tranny...mmmmmmm I'm all about the V-8 swaps..ESPECIALLY if it is a TOY!!!

Reply to
Eightupman