Steering column

Does anyone know how to bypass the column to start an 84 S10 I have trouble starting the truck with the key. It works when it wants. I had a similar problem with my Iroc so I changed the column. I would like to put in a starter button on the truck instead. How can I do this, and still need the key to work the column?

Reply to
bizankss

You should try to lube and adjust the ignition switch, its under the dash on top of the column and it wont cost anything. To put in a push button to crank, you simply need to find the wire that powers up when you crank it. Then wire power to your switch then back to that wire. Since your are digging around under the dash anyway, why not just replace the ign switch, its not that tough, just two bolts and a plug. You will most likely have to drop the column a bit to get to it but no big deal really. Usually its just two big bolts close to the front of the dash one on each side of the column. You will most like have to remove some of the plastic trim stuff under there first but no biggy either. Look for the little box with a rod going in from up by the wheel and a large plug on the side. That's the switch. It also wont hurt to lube the lock cylinder in and around where the key goes in.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote: "Does anyone know how to bypass the column to start an 84 S10 I have trouble starting the truck with the key. It works when it wants. I had a similar problem with my Iroc so I changed the column. I would like to put in a starter button on the truck instead. How can I do this, and still need the key to work the column?"

Change the ignition switch and lubricate the cylinder where the key goes. You can also replace the cylinder lock. Just buy the switch with keys.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3138.bay.webtv.net...

This is one of those questions that isnt clear enough to say a or b. Works when it wants to means what, wont crank ie engine doesnt turn over, wont start means engine turns over but wont start, or is it cant turn the key at all?

If its can't turn the key have you tried the spare key, or tried having a lock smith make a new one ( by lock smith I dont mean the key cutter at wally world or the hardware store)? Much as I hate the place, AutoZone sells the ignition lock for 9.99, and you can "borrow" the tool to depress the lock plate under the steering wheel to get at the clip that holds it on for a small deposit, as well as borrow a steering wheel puller, again for a small deposit. I find myself replacing keys about every two years, the key is made out of softer metal than the lock tumblers, easier and cheaper to replace key then lock assy. If its wont turn over have you checked for power to the small wire going to the starter selonoid to make sure its getting power when the key is turned? Could be a bad selonoid if there is power but no crank. No power could be a bad ignition switch, or a bad nuetral safety switch. Ignition switch is $11.99, the nuetral safety for auto is 8.99, for stick its 5.99. Both are very easy to change and require no special tools. Ignition switch is on top the steering column a little more than half way down held on with two small bolts/machine screws. The Nuetral safety switch, if automatic, is located on top the column at its base. again two small bolts/machine screws retain it. Both switches are adjustable. If its a stick the nuetral safety is hooked to the clutch pedal. I have seen them disconnected on purpose, and what ever jury rig used to keep it depressed come undone.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I have new battery, new ign switch, good starter, and good alt. I have not tried the neutral switch. I turn the key and nothing. it is getting power to everything. It just seems if I mess with it and move wires around and jiggle things it will start with no problem then i can turn it off and try again with nothing. When I turn the key the dash lights come as normal bt still nothing. Will try the saftey switch.

Reply to
bizankss

I checked the neutral saftey switch and thats what it was. Now it starts everytime. Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
bizankss