Torque Management in a 2004 5.3L

So what is it and what are the benefits/detriments?

Reply to
Troy

It limits the amount of power the engine will deliver in different situations. If you "punch it" you will not smoke the tires because it will not allow that much power. It is to protect drive train parts. Many people pay over $400.00 to have it removed (reprogram ecu, i.e. tuning). I have had to use 4low more than once because of the limited power available at start up.

Reply to
calhoun

Calhoun hit it pretty good there.

There are two sides to it.. It limits torque on the upshifts by pulling timing out of the motor anytime you accelerate at more than a 'gingerly' pace.

Then there are "abuse modes" that are tripped when you do things like jumping on the throttle hard from a stop. Again timing is pulled out of the motor to limit power.

The good side to this, is that it saves on drivetrain wear for 98% of the population.

Us 2-percenters who like to mod the hell out of the trucks, suffer, because it really limits performance.

I bought my own software to delete TM (and make other computer changes). Like Calhoun said, a custom tune will run $400... my software happened to run $500.

Once you start deleting this stuff though, it's a good idea to have a fair amount of money tucked away in case of some catastrophic tranny failure... which happens quite often when modding and running 4L60's hard. You kind of have to save for your own "waranty work".

There are a number of companies out there making race prepped 4L60's and '65's that can stand a good amount of power, in the low $2,000 range.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Why not just change it back to the old programming?

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

You could easily do that... but it mostly comes down to a moral thing. ;)

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

GM doesn't have morals, why should you? They make a damn good product, but as far as I can see, they kick & scream about backing it up.

GMC Greml> >

Reply to
GMC Gremlin