towing with 4cyl S-15 or Sonoma

I plan to transport a couple of rooms of stuff about 1,000 miles. My 2.2L Sonoma manual says that I can tow up to 3,000lb. I don't have that much stuff, but will need a small enclosed trailer anyway. So, the manual also says that I should keep it in 3 instead of Drive, all the time. I can see that for up and down hills, but all the time? Is that really necessary - maybe for transmission circulation and cooling or something? Are there any other things I should know about regarding towing with this setup?

Reply to
Dave

ho boy

the 2.2 + 4L60E has a rough time maintaining 65 mph on flat ground in 4th with TC locked

I've never seen such a gutless wonder in 4th gear

put it in 3rd and pray.....a LOT

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I had a S-15 with the 2.5L four and the 700R4 transmission. It had the towing package that included 4.11 rear gears. It would pull fairly well but trying to stop was a different issue. Be careful.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Also be sure to put on a transmission cooler is its an auto. The transmission in mine ran too hot without towing anything.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

I have a 98 4 cyl s10 auto I pull a 1500 lb popup to August Ga and back to Louisiana on I20 I get reasonable gas milage (21) and maintain a safe speed above 50. It is not as bad as the "big enjine boys" claim.... fyi

Reply to
SLLD

Rent a bigger truck and save yourself lot`s of money.

Bill

Reply to
Bill