wheel bearings

Hey ya'll, what is the proper way to set the tension on the wheel bearings after they are replaced and repacked, my dad helped with the ones on my min-van, and we had a discussion about it, about how tight the nut should be, how ya'll do it???

Reply to
Craig M

wheel bearings Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Jul 20, 2006, 2:02am (EDT+4) From: craig snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Craig=A0M) Hey ya'll, what is the proper way to set the tension on the wheel bearings after they are replaced and repacked, my dad helped with the ones on my min-van, and we had a discussion about it, about how tight the nut should be, how ya'll do it???

What vehicle are you talking about? On mine, you torque the bearings to 50 lb/ft (to seat tye berings) and then back off. Re-torque to 35 lb/ft and then back off until you can line up the pin on the nut with a hole on the lock ring (not to exceed 1/3 turn). Your vehicle may be different so you'll get more accurate instructions if people know which vehicle you're talking about.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

My goof, I had said mini van, its a 2000 GMC Safari mini van

wheel bearings

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Jul 20, 2006, 2:02am (EDT+4) From: craig snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Craig M) Hey ya'll, what is the proper way to set the tension on the wheel bearings after they are replaced and repacked, my dad helped with the ones on my min-van, and we had a discussion about it, about how tight the nut should be, how ya'll do it???

What vehicle are you talking about? On mine, you torque the bearings to 50 lb/ft (to seat tye berings) and then back off. Re-torque to 35 lb/ft and then back off until you can line up the pin on the nut with a hole on the lock ring (not to exceed 1/3 turn). Your vehicle may be different so you'll get more accurate instructions if people know which vehicle you're talking about.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Craig M

Reply to
none2u

tighten the nut to maybe 10- 15 Ft lbs .snug ...rotate hub / rotor , while doing this .... then back nut off , use your fingers to tighten nut up, then use wrench or plyers to tighten nut slightly , just to the next cotter key hole , should be 2 holes in spindle , use the nearest one .. basicly you want just a wee bit of preload , not much

Reply to
Chevy

Reply to
none2u