Which old truck or car had an aluminum block & head V8 or V6 engine?

Vega got a V-6 option, the 229 cid even fire (the 4.3 liters older but smaller brother) in the last two years of production. The Monza got both the new Iron Duke 2.5, the Buick 196 cid even fire 3.2 ltr V-6 the first two years and then the Buick 231 cid odd fire 3.8 and the V-8 engines, the 4.3 262 at 110 hp, the 5.0 305 cid, and a very very detuned 5.7 available only in california.(the 5.0 had 145 hp, while the 5.7 only achieved 125).

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

After the 86 model year the 2.8 became a very reliable engine. That was the year they increased the size of the main and rod journals, and converted to a one piece rear main seal. Also in 86 the TBI system came out and drivability issues pretty much went away. With any kind of half decent maintenance it was a damn good engine, the only weakness the intake manifold gasket letting loose on the drivers side rear of the manifold. around 80,000 miles.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:12:00 GMT, "Jonathan Race" wrote something wonderfully witty:

It was a four banger.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:59:45 -0600, "John Alt" wrote something wonderfully witty:

The fact that I ran 3 different to over the 200k mark. Put I also took care of them.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

snip

---------

Now that's funny. I'm surprised she didn't sue you for selling the car to her after the crash.

HDS

Reply to
HDS

My dad had a F-85 when I was a kid, Early 60's, very early. Damn thing would fly IIRC.. but did strand us from over heating. I was 5 or so and remember riding a Greyhound bus back home from wherever is was we were stranded.

Gordon

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 01:01:27 -0500, "HDS" wrote something wonderfully witty:

after the crash.

Well I didn't want to go into that part of the story, but she did. The car had been modified to run primarly1/4 runs @ DelMarVa. The gearing, suspension, wheels, tires and so forth were put on for that purpose. It always past the State inspection process and was more then road worthy, but wasn't setup for the high-speed maneuvers that this kid attempted. It was way more car then he could safely handle. She was told this going in and signed an "as is", "were is" bill of sale. Fortunately for me I kept a copy. You do not want to know how long this little adventure went on. I highly advocate anyone selling a vehicle that has been modified by them to disclose it to the buyer and document that they acknowledge and are buying it with full knowledge. Oh and keep the damn paperwork for forever.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I understand it liked to eat it's own camshaft also...

Snuffy

Reply to
Snuffy Smiff

I know this is off topic, but a guy around the corner from me is selling a 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 Convertible and is asking 18k. New paint, missing some trip parts, runs good interior looks good. An unfinished project. What would be a good price for the car?

Reply to
Tailgator

On 20 Feb 2005 20:44:02 -0800, "Tailgator" wrote something wonderfully witty:

8 - 10
Reply to
ZombyWoof

better find out if the engine is actually all original or if there has been work done on it the reason is they were still using lead gas at the time and the lead was used as a lubricant for the heads valve seats ,which means on the cast iron heads you need to get either hardened valve seats installed or use lead substitute since v-8 engines at tht time ran about 9:1 or a 10;1 compression and todays gas from your corner convenience store dont have a high enough octane level since lead gas ran about a 100-108 octane level compared to todays gas so take that into consideration when buying it

Reply to
badaztek

I had a 300 in my 64 Buick, great engine untill aprox 80,000 when it suddenly started burning oil, and losing power

Reply to
451ctds