Re: Which 406 coupe v6 194 BHP or 210 BHP

Derek reports that his 210 BHP saloon pulls well above 5500 RPM. My 194 BHP does not - this is not an engine where you accidentally hit the rev limiter in a rush of top end.... I think they must have changed the cams and the engine management for the newer engine, or freed up some restriction. Go for the later model if you can - the improved economy and resale are worthwhile. I tried a Coupe with the later engine in and it seemed to lose nothing in midrange and was a little happier to rev.

In message , Tony > wrote (snipped some): > >I'm about to buy a v6 406 coupe, but cannot deceide which model to go > >for. either a '99 or a '00. According to
the '99 > >194 bhp model as a 0-60mph of 6.9secs the '00 210 bhp model a 0-60mph > >of 8.1secs. I obviously prefer the faster model, but are these figures > >accurate > > Who can say? > I've never trusted manufacturers published figures since the day I > bought my first car (a Ford Anglia!). Even magazine tests vary although > Autocar are perhaps the most accurate and consistent. But I'm not sure > if they tested the 210BHP coupe. 8.1 sounds a bit on the high side to me > unless it's for the auto version. > > My V6 saloon has been timed at 6.2 seconds on the track so I'd be very > surprised if the coupe was 2 seconds slower. Unless it's carrying a lot > more weight or different gearing. Unfortunately Peugeot don't publish > any useful performance or engine specs - just the number of cup-holders. > :-) > > Perhaps you could road test both? That way you'd at least get a feel for > which felt quicker on the road. > > You can always bolt a turbo on. > -- > Derek Tree
Reply to
John Banks

Hello,

Well, I've heard the 210HP evolution was engineered by Porsche, and that mods were on head & airbox - sure electronic management was at the party ! Note that the Porsche engineering may be a cause for the fast-revving behaviour...

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

In message , G.T wrote

Interesting... You don't happen to know if anyone has turbocharged this engine, do you?

Reply to
Derek Tree

Hello,

TBH I don't know. I've heard once of a team, called Alesia, which was engineering a 406 Coupé with the V6, twin turbo & 4WD, but no news... Else, the older model (194HP, PRV engine, IIRC) was turbocharged with the Alpine V6 Turbo (A610T ?).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T