06 Jeep Wrangler X - Problem with Shimmy in Steering Wheel....

I have a new "06 Jeep Wrangler X" (Great Jeep!) with a total of 6192 miles.

When I drive about 60 mph on the freeway, the steering wheel wants to "shimmy", i.e. turn to the left, then to the right and vice versa. I have to hang tightly on the steering wheel or slow down to about 50 mph. I could really end up in the next lane to the right or left. It's really noticeable with the cross winds and windy days. Slower speeds on the regular city streets, it's OK.

I had it to the dealership last month and they test drove it and they found nothing wrong. I also use this same jeep, to tow behind my RV.

Do I need more air pressure in the two front tires of this jeep, or what else could be going on here????

There is a NHTSA ODI - Technical Service Bulletin out there and I'm going to follow up on it. Make : JEEP Model : WRANGLER Year : 2006 Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION Service Bulletin Num : 1900306 Date of Bulletin: AUG 30, 2006 NHTSA Item Number: 10020334 Component: STEERING Summary: STEERING SHIMMY. *TT

Has anyone experience this same problem, if so...how did you solve it??

Thanks, : -) Larryariz

Reply to
larryariz

This is my second attempt, my first message ended up with: "There are no more messages on this topic. All messages in this topic may have expired or been deleted."

Hi all,

I have a new "06 Jeep Wrangler X" (Great Jeep!) with a grand total of

6192 miles.

When I drive about 60 mph on the freeway, the steering wheel wants to "shimmy", i.e. turn to the left, then to the right and vice versa. I have to hang tightly on this steering wheel or slow down to about 50 mph. I could really end up in the next lane, to the right or left. It's really noticeable with the cross winds or on windy days. Slower speeds on the regular city streets, it's OK.

I had it to the dealership last month and they test drove it and they found nothing wrong. I also use this same jeep, to tow behind my RV.

Do I need more air pressure in the two front tires of this jeep, or what else could be going on here????

There is a NHTSA ODI - Technical Service Bulletin out there and I'm going to follow up on it. Make : JEEP Model : WRANGLER Year : 2006 Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION Service Bulletin Num : 1900306 Date of Bulletin: AUG 30, 2006 NHTSA Item Number: 10020334 Component: STEERING Summary: STEERING SHIMMY. *TT

Has anyone experience this same problem, if so...how did you solve it??

Thanks, : -) Larryariz

Reply to
larryariz

Forgive me, but I find your post not credible. If the problem is as obvious and repeatable as you make it sound, how could the dealer possibly say they can't duplicate the problem. If you're not making this up, then get a Chrysler rep. to meet you at the dealer, or go to another dealer.

Bill Putney

two biggest bs lines used by dealer personal when a warranty issue is brought in can't verfy issue! no problem found! and you will go bac at a later time and get the same line of s@(^%^

2 comebacks now f> larryariz wrote:
Reply to
philthy

I took my Jeep to the dealer today, and they replaced the steering dampner/linkage at no charge. It took two trips, but it looks like this was the problem. They did not find this problem, the first time around. Finally, the steering is much much better. I'll run this jeep on the freeway later today, to give it a good test run.

All I can say...my THANKS!!!!, to the "rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys" newsgroup and their suggestions.

The "Technical Service Bulletin" made the difference. It's amazing what a little piece of paper can do.

So, if you have a 06 Jeep Wrangler X, ##get this "Technical Service Bulletin" service done on your vehicle. ##

Thanks, : -) Larry

larryariz