'94 Intrepid Decision

I have an option to buy a 1994 Intrepid, but I am unaware of their history. This car has 177,000 Km on it, but it is in real nice looking shape. I will however get a better look at it once I've decided (with some help from this NG) if it is even worth a second look.

RM

Reply to
69Rocketman

Transaxle and A/C Condenser. Other than that, they are pretty decent cars. The 4Sp auto transaxles of this era are prone to failure,(it is the infamous 41te formerly known as the A604, over 75% of 1997 and older

41TE's/A604's have failed prior to 100,000mi, it's not just one thing either, the gear sets grenade, the sensors quit (that's a cheap fix), the internal clutches let go, the solenoid pak clogs..so many problem areas with it) ask how many times it's been rebuilt already. The fluid and filter must be changed on these transaxles often (I recommend every 20,000mi), and a complete fluid change (read flush) is required with atf+3 fluid. The A/C condensers also fail quite often on the LH vehicles of this era, check to make sure the AC still works.

Ken

69Rocketman wrote:
Reply to
73blazer

If you live in Ontario then a private seller should have a used car package which states the owner history and book value. You can also get it yourself by using the VIN number and paying $ 20.00

Reply to
Mr. Elbe

If you do decide on it, check if the fuel rail recall was performed. It probably was if the car isn't charred to a nice black color, but it never hurts to double check. The Chrysler support toll free number can check if you give them the serial number (VIN).

Reply to
Greg Houston

They're extremely solid cars. Although a few more of the 42LE transmissions failed early than SHOULD have, they didn't have anything like the failure rate of the early 41TE. And the vast majority of 42LE "failures" were just bad sensors. My original '93 transmission lasted over 150,000 miles until a leak forced me to pull it, so I had it rebuilt while it was out. Now close to 210k on the car. If it has a 3.5L engine, make sure the fuel rail recall has been performed (a dealer can check based on the VIN of the car). The A/C evaporator core was upgraded during the run of that car, as the early ones tended to fail due to corrosion. Nothing really major, and both available engines (3.3 and

3.5) are absolutely bulletproof in the long tradition of Chrysler engines which was only ruined in recent years by the 2.0/2.4 and 2.7L engines.

Oh, and if I don't point it out Dan will point out that the first-gen Intrepid had some of the worst headlamps ever set free on the highways. The Eagle Vision and Chrysler Concorde were a tiny bit better, but still bad.

.
Reply to
Steve

No, the Intrepid uses the 42LE, not the 41TE.

Reply to
Steve

I forgot that you can do this yourself: Go to and click I need RECALL or CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION INFORMATION, enter the last digits of your VIN and there you go.

(The recall announced yesterday for other vehicles isn't yet available here)>

Reply to
Greg Houston

need

Excellent link!