99 Dodge Caravan won't start in the morning

I have a '99 Dodge Caravan that I recently changed the battery in (Sears). I put the key in the ignition and turn the key to start but all I hear is just a clicking sound and the car doesn't turn over. It sounds like the battery is weak. Sometimes it will try and turnover but won't have the juice to start. If I do it three/four times the car will eventually start. Once the car starts, it starts fine the rest of the day. I took it back to Sears and they say everything checks out fine (alernator, battery, etc.)

Any idea what might be causing this? It's almost as if the battery is draining overnight.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Smith

Sometimes batteries, even new ones, have intermittent internal shorts. They may not show up in testing, but may cause the voltage to drop on the heavier load of a start sequence. One way to test this may be to borrow another battery that is known to be good.

Reply to
Dave Gower

When this happens do you ever turn the headlamps on to see if they are brite? Chances are your problem is with the starter solonoid and the starter will need to be replaced.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Good idea about turning on the headlights! I will try that tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
esojmc

Turned on the headlights and they seemed normal. Then I tried starting the car and it started right away. Usually it will just click when I try and start in the morning so I'm not sure what's going on. Will try again tomorrow morning.

esojmc wrote:

Reply to
esojmc

More then likely the starter is at fault

Reply to
maxpower

It's not the battery, it's probably the starter solenoid contacts.

See this thread:

powrwrap

Thanks everyone for all your help. I had the starter replaced and all is well now...

Reply to
esojmc