Crysler voyager -95 3.3l Backfiring in aircleaner

My Voyager is backfiring in the aircleaner at 3700-4000 rpm when i drive it and if the gearbox is in park and i rev it up to the above rpm. It starts to missfire slightly and if i press the gas even more it will backfire so much that i even blown a aircleaner top off. This happens almost everyday but sometimes it will run perfektly. I´ve changed wires and plugs whith no change. There is no error code in the "check engine lamp" only 55.

Is there someone that can help me, i´m going crazy over this. I´ve read a lot about mis/backfiring here, but nobody seems to have exactly the same problem as me. meaning at a specific rpm regardless of load/uphill/downhill/decelerating/in-gear and so on.

Help please!!!!!!!!

Janne

Reply to
Janne S Sweden

timing ???

Reply to
PC Medic

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
jdoe

Does your state have an emissions check? An EGR valve stuck closed might cause this, and if your car has high NoX emissions that's the EGR. Sometimes when this valve fails it won't set a code.

Did someone replace the plugs with a set that have the wrong heat range?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
maxpower

Yes we have pretty hard emission checks here in Sweden, almost like in California i think. We check the car and emissions every year. I thougt that it may be the lamda some time ago, but the emissions was perfekt in the test.

Reply to
Janne S Sweden

Sorry, there is no way to set the timing.

Reply to
Janne S Sweden

I have thougt about the fuelfilter before but i don´t think that´s it because i can load the car with a big boggie caravan and it works fine in the range under the 3700rpm whith the gaspedal to the floor. So i tink it gets all the fuel it want´s.

Reply to
Janne S Sweden

Have them check the emissions again if you can get it done for free - here in Oregon you can, the state inspection stations will test for free.

Have someone put a scope on the ignition system.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I checked two weeks ago at a friends workshop and it was perfekt,i checked the timing on the ignition as well. What i don´t understand is why it starts to mess around at that specific rpm.

If i slowly goes up to 3700 rpm with gearbox locked in position 2 the engine will stall and lack power and sligthly miss in the ignition and while it´s doing that the rpm gauge will go crazy and be all over the place. If i continue to press on the gaspedal it would miss even more and in the end start exploding in the air cleaner. If i would go about

55 m/h (90km/h)and try to accelerate so the kickdown engages, it would shift down and just blow the top of the aircleaner, belive me i tried, it blow the plastic hinges right off.

Janne S (By the way,Sweden is a country next to Norway and Denmark)

Reply to
Janne S Sweden

What is the engine size? 3.0?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Crysler voyager -95 (3.3L) Backfiring in aircleaner

Janne

Reply to
Janne S Sweden

Replace the spark plug wires. This is fairly common symptom when they are defective . At the vehicle's age I'd bet on this being the cause of your backfiring.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Done that...twice!! and plugs. First with aftermarket cables,now original wires and new plugs for about 40$(295SEK) a piece. Not cheap but will stay in the car for the next 3-4 years and thats nice.We all know how much fun it is to cange plugs on this car ;-)

Reply to
Janne S Sweden

Does any Chrysler mechanic out there know if somthing special happens in that rpm range (3700-4000rpm). If extra fuel is added or if ignition timing is radically changed or something like that????. Could the problem be a faulty computer unit??. And why does it sometime work perfectly, it has nothing to do with weather conditions dry/wet/hot or cold.

Janne S

Reply to
Janne S Sweden