Dodge Nitro Towing

All,

I am considering buying a '07 Dodge Nitro without the towing pkg.. Does anyone know if the wires for the lights will be in the back (I just connect up a wiring harness, add a hitch and I am ready to tow), or will I have to have the wires installed? Any idea how much this would cost?

thx, Dan

Reply to
lagman

Dan

For my Dodge 2001 PU I had to buy the components for the trailer package. Wire. plugs etc, hitch and all. There is a package but I wanted something better so I did it all myself. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

By looking at Dodge's website, the Nitro requires the tow package to be factory/dealer installed. They claim it comes with a class 3 hitch... What are you thinking on towing? and whats the rated tow linit of a Nitro to begin with?

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I need to tow a 2500lb popup camper. The guy at the dealership said I could put on my own hitch.. In fact Hidden Hitches makes one that doesen't require cutting the bumper and bolts onto the frame with 6 bolts. According to the specs, the Nitro can tow 5000lbs when equipped with the factory tow package, and 3500lbs when you put on your own hitch. I noticed even on my non-equipped Nitro there is a "Tow/Haul" button for the transmission.

Dan

Reply to
lagman

"lagman" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@c4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

I also considerd buying a Dodge Nitro 3.7 automatic until I took it for a testdrive from the dealer... I have driven the car for ten minutes and my dream was over. Before you buy this car you have to visit this forum.

Good luck, Hennie.

Reply to
Hennie

The question that plagues me is why would anyone buy a Nitro when the Liberty is the same chassis, has more choices for 4wd systems, and isn't butt-fugly?

Reply to
Steve

Can't speak to to the first comments 'cause I haven't looked it up, but something I find interesting in my own reactions is that, when I see them next to each other, the Liberty is *just* as ugly. But somehow, when the badge says "Jeep", it seems appropriate, and I don't mind it. Hmmm...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Easy question. Because the wife didn't want a Liberty :)

Reply to
lagman

Jeep: Selec-TrackII 4wd (full-time), Command-Trac II 4wd (part-time, w/ shift-on-the-fly), and 2WD available.

Nitro: "shift-on-the-fly part-time 4wd available" with little detail, bur presumably its roughly the same as Command-TracII. Or 2wd, no full-time option. At least the good 4wd is the one the Nitro gets, not just the pushbutton electronic full-time system.

Yeah, its a different kind of ugly. The Jeep still looks like a Jeep (more-so after the restyle, the first Liberty looked like Barbie's version of a Jeep). It looks functional. The Nitro, on the other hand, looks like its trying to appeal to urbanites who want something that looks "tough."

Reply to
Steve