Need help on power steering problems 2001 Town and Country minivan.

I just purchased a 2001 town and country minivan. It has minor problems, the rear wipers don't work, the front water pumps don't work but I figured that was easily taken care of. However, several times now, I have started the car and had no power steering. It has taken either several restarts or turning off EVERYTHING - radio, fans, lights, etc and then I pull out, the steering is rather heavy and as soon as I get going it is ok. (Those times when I first start, the steering is impossible).

What should I have the mechanic check. Is it a battery or electrical problem that might also affect the wiper pumps?

Any info would be appreciated.

Reply to
trishhelen

check the reservoir and make sure the fluid level is correct. I have a 2005 that has under 7k miles on it and it has a leaky rack. We are waiting for a new rack to be available so that we can take the car back to get the rack replaced.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez