P0441 code on 300M

I got a P0441 code on our '02 300M about 18 months ago. I left the battery disconnected for a while, and the code took until a month or so to return. Again I left the battery disconnected for a while,, but now the code has returned again.

I've read that it can be caused by an imperfectly sealing gas cap, so would buying a new gas cap be a good starting point? Other suggestions?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Oops! I meant "...a month or so AGO..."

Again I left the battery disconnected for a while,, but now

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

The fault code will not go away as long as there is a problem. P0441 is an EVAP Purge System fault. sometimes tricky to diagnose.It is a cold start monitor test. The PCM will try to activate the purge solenoid gradually from close to max open. As the PCM controls the flow, the PCM wants to see that the NVLD (natural vacuum leak detection) switch closes. If it does not see the NVLD close, a fault code is set. You would need to use a scan tool to verify that the switch closes and to force run the NVLD and Purge monitor to diagnose this problem. Several causes to set the fault. NVLD switch open,Evap Purge solenoid. evap solenoid vacuum supply leaks or restricted. The most common would be the NVLD bad

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower