The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

My son through a baseball in the car knocking the rearview mirror off the windshield.

Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did not fail; the glass did.

To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.

I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to- windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface?

Thanks!

Joe Colella snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Joe Colella

Try "threw."

Uh...try moving the base plate up or down to avoid the chip? Permatex mirror adhesive works well as long as you prep the glass as per directions with 94% isopropyl alcohol, available at most pharmacies. Don't just "Windex" the glass, as it does leave deposits, as does 70% "rubbing" alcohol. Properly prepped, I've never had Permatex adhesive fail on these repairs.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

My experience was that a Las Cruces summer would cause it to fail; I was putting it back on annually. JB Weld fixed it permanently.

I don't know where DesertBob is... if he's somewhere hotter than here then I wasn't prepping it as well as I thought I was; if he's somewhere cooler, then the Permatex adhesive doesn't stand up to extreme heat.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Really, PERMATEX works on glass-to-glass as well as metal-to-glass?

Reply to
Joe Colella

JB Weld for metal-to-glass and glass-to-glass...

That's good to know!

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joe Colella

Of course, be aware that it *isn't* transparent.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Been to Las Cruces...mild there!

Edge of the Mojave Desert.

115° here isn't uncommon, and the 2500 ft elevation provides excessive UV year 'round.

If you used "rubbing alcohol" to prep the glass, that was your undoing. "Rubbing alcohol" contains 5% glycerine by volume and is unsuitable for industrial/mechanical cleaning purposes. It also contains 25% water by volume.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Permatex REAR VIEW MIRROR ADHESIVE, yes. Permatex RTV or #2, no way.

Another Permatex product that works, but it a bit fragile: Rear window defogger repair goop.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Thanks!

Reply to
Joe Colella

You didnt' seem to think that I really did live in a "desert," and I assure you that I do!

Las Cruces has a very dry desert climate, making summer cooling via adiabatic means a snap. We enjoy that same benefit, although are foiled when monsoonal flow from Mexico messed things up. As I remember it, it's a very nice town all around...certainly a bit more likable than Alamogordo to the north!

Seattle's a great city as well as it Portland, but that constant parade of Pacific storms anytime other than in summer is enough to drive one to the antidepressants.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

So you're a little hotter than here (105 is common, 115 is uncommon but not unheard of), and we're a little higher than you (4000 ft). Don't know which difference is more significant.

Looking around a bit, it looks like the amount of water varies by brand; I haven't found a brand that admits to having any glycerine in it, though about the only thing various brands of rubbing alcohol seem to have in common is that they have some amount of isopropyl alcohol. Frankly, it's been enough years since I last had to put the mirror back on that I don't remember what I used to clean it with... rubbing alcohol is a possibility.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer