Timing belt replacement '99 3.0 Mitsubishi

It still makes no sense. You are saying that CA has a law on the books that says that belts must be good for x miles? In fact that is what I have heard in the past, and you'd think that would either drive the market to two different belts (one for CA cars, one for all others) or standardizing on the better belt and the one change interval. If it's a durability standard, then if they're using the same belt, how does that work out to two change interval recommendations?

As far as I'm concerned, we still don't have an answer on this - the situation can't be totally explained by two different tailpipe standards nor by two different durability standards (since there aren't two different belts - one for the CA car and one for the EPA car).

If it's the same belt, it seems like the consumer ought to go by the CA car interval whether it's a CA car or not.

Bill Putney

I have a Mitsubishi 3.0L in a 3000GT. It called for timing belt and spark plug replacement at 60K miles. I did the water pump too at 60K and 120K. Mine is a dual cam model. I only mention this since I don't know if the Minivan model was also dual cam (I would think it would be).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Again, it has nothing to do with the belt durability (the standard), it is the emissions system durability standard. The EPA and CARB can not dictate a standard which addresses when the engine stops running because of a jumped or broken timing belt because it is not their jurisdiction, they can however dictate standards that address whether a component allows emissions to exceed their standards and whether a component effects the monitoring of those standards.

The consumer ought to go by what makes sense for their own particular situation, which has nothing to do with state lines and/or emissions regulations. I've changed hundreds of these belts and have yet to see one fail before 110K miles that wasn't due to an oil leak or a coolant leak.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

No, the 3.0 used in chrysler mini-vans is a SOHC engine.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Thanks for the clarification. This may well explain the shorter interval since the belt will be a different part number (longer) and be stressed more for the dual cam. (I did not think that the 60K recommendation had changed for the Stealth/3000GT in later model years.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

> (sluggish downloading lately)>>

My 97 Caravan manual (owner and service) also state 60,000

Reply to
PC Medic

> (sluggish downloading lately)> >

Reply to