Will any Chrysler flathead 6 work with Fluid Drive?

I have a 1941 6 with Vacamatic Fluid Drive. My engine may need to be replaced,and I was wondering if any Chrysler flathead 6 would fit and work. The size of my engine is 245.1 and I know that in 42-49 the size was 250.6. Other sizes were in Dodges, 230, but would any of them work with the Fluid Drive?

Reply to
<CountFloyd

Does Dan Stern still follow this newsgroup?

Or perhaps his knowledge doesn't extend back that far?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Haven't seen him here in a long time - I think he posted once in the last year.

Reply to
Bill Putney

I'm guessing that if you measure the length of the head it will be 25", as opposed to the 23" for the 218/230 inch motors used in Plymouths and Dodges. If it is 25" long, then there are a number of versions of this engine, getting all the way up to 265 ci in some applications. All should work in your application, although you should confirm that the flywheel bolt pattern is identical, as Ma Mopar sometimes changes them unexpectedly (like the different bolt patterns between the 218 and 230

23" motors).

Marty

47 Plymouth with a hopped up flathead 6
Reply to
Martin Bose

I stay in touch with Dan on and off, but I don't think that falls in his expertise. After all, the flathead doesn't slant... ;-)

I actually own a 1949 215 flathead, but I don't know if there are compatibility issues between different versions and the Fluid Drive system. IIRC, Fluid Drive uses engine oil for the clutch, so at least plumbing to the oiling system has to be available. The Flatheads all have an external partial-flow oil filter, though, so two ports are indeed available on all of them. But I don't know if the engines intended for use with Fluid Drive got a different setup or not.

Reply to
Steve

Steve, The Chrysler Fluid Drive is a separate unit attached to the flywheel, you might be thinking of the Plymouth version that used the engine oil for the transmission also. I have the Vacamatic 4 speed, semi-automatic. My engine is 241.5 cubic inch, and I know that bigger sixes with Fluid Drive were used up to the 265 in the DeSoto before all went to the V-8. I hope that my block is OK, I have been trying to locate a spare engine somewhere, I am a member of the Walter P. Chrysler Club, so hopefully, it will not be that bad. Someone said that I could use the 250.6, as it was used in Chryslers from 42-52 with the same Fluid Drive torque converter.

Reply to
<CountFloyd