How long did Chrysler make Flathead 6?

I know that the last use of the old L-head was in the 59 models, but didn't Chrysler continue to make the engine into the 60's or 70's for industrial/marine usage?

Reply to
Count Floyd

Nope, it went much longer than that in certain Dodge Truck products.

Yep.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The slant six 225 became the small industrial/marine engine in the VERY early sixties. The 413 became the BIG industrial engine about the same time

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

OK, but they weren't L-head engines. How does this relate???

Are you saying that the above engines totally replaced the L-heads for industrial/marine purposes?

Doug

Reply to
Doug

They did not TOTALLY replace them in 1961 or '62, as there were significant numbers of the flathead six and big block 318 engines still in the pipeline, but by 1969 virtually all Chrysler Industrial sixes were 225 slant sixes, and I do not remember a single Dodge truck with a flatty after 1961, for sure. I believe the production of flatty blocks ended in 1959 or 1960 I worked for a White Farm Equipment dealer back in the late sixties and all the gasoline combines used Chrycos. The 413 was common, as was the new "B"? style 318, with the 225 being used extensively in the smaller equipment. Lots of rough country fork lifts also used the slant six, as well as irrigation pumps.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I forgot ONE area where the flatty survived into the seventies. As a "military standard" engine, it remained the power plant for the military PowerWagons through the 1972 model year.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce