citoren saxo problem with wipers.. (relais?)

Hello,

I've got two problems with my citroen saxo wipers. First: my interval does not seem to work at all. The other speeds seem to work ok, even the tap speed works ok. Second problem is that the wipers do not return to their normal position at the bottom of the windscreen but insead they immediately stop when I turn oof the wiperswitch. I already tried a new wiper motor and a new wiper switch without any effect. I did not mange to find the relais to replace this? Anyway could the problem be due to a defect wiper relais, if so where can I find this one (what color) in a citroen saxo 1997. Besides interval malfunction will a new wiperrelais fix the second problem? Thank is advance. Help is much appriciated!!

Best regards, snipped-for-privacy@balcanicsoft.com snipped-for-privacy@bankarea.com

rosaria.domagalski

This sounds like a break in the wiring to the self-park contact on the wiper motor. I don't know exactly how the interval wipe is implemented in the Saxo, but the traditional way is to have the wiper motor supplied through a contact in the housing which switches off (opens) at a 'park' position. If you have the main wiper switch on, this is bypassed and the motor just keeps going - if you have switched off the main switch since the last cycle, the motor keeps running through the 'park' contact until it opens in the 'parked' position, then stops.

The interval-wipe uses a relay which bridges the 'park' contacts briefly

- just enough to get the motor moving so the contacts are made again - then drops out for the interval - say 5 seconds. During that time the wiper will complete one cycle, but by the time it gets back to the 'park' position, the relay has timed-out and there is no supply, so it stops as if you had switched off the main switch. A few seconds later, it all happens again for one more sweep.

If the wire to the 'park' contact is disconnected somewhere, none of the self-parking or interval stuff will work, but the main switch will still supply current to the motor directly whenever it's on - but of course that stops immediately you switch it off, and so does the motor, wherever it is at the time.

Hope this helps

Bill

Reply to
Bill