Xantia diesel ecu/turbo problem

1.9 TD Xantia 1996 ish. What's happening is that if I accelerate gently all is OK, if I put my foot down (not necessarily very hard) the car splutters
like it's flooding until the revs reach 3k and black smoke issues forth, then once 3k revs are reached it takes of like a scalded cat.
I did have a similar problem 3 years ago when I bought it and this may have been due to a wastegate or something similar. The only reason I wonder whether it is that, is because in my quest to find why the aircon stopped working yesterday, I pulled the fuse to the ECU because it also goes to the A/C cut off relay.
--
Malc

"Your mother can't climb stairs"
‚úĖ

I had a similar problem with my ZX 1.9D once, when I got some diesel fuel that was contaminated with petrol. It went away when the contaminant had worked its way through, and the engine has been fine since - as far as I can tell.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

This started half way through a full tank though. It came on really suddenly, Saturday it was fine, Sunday not.
--
Malc

"Your mother can't climb stairs"
‚úĖ

Could it be something upsetting the turbo? I haven't got one of those.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

According to my garage man it's the EGR valve. Apparently something electrical is holding the EGR and the fast idle on. The Egr shouldn't open until the revs get to presumably about 3k but because it's open all the time the mixture balance is wrong at low revs. He's disabled it for the moment and all seems fine until we can sort out a reason why.
--
Malc

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Malc wrote:

In that case, have a look at the electrovalves (on a bracket just to the left of the LHM tank). One controls the fast-idle, the other the EGR.
Also check the vacuum pump is working and the pipework for leaks....
(My fast-idle electrovalve was failing open-circuit after it had warmed up for a couple of minutes or so, resulting in, well, a fast idle :o) )
Alan
--
Warning! - This newsgroup may contain nuts....
Mail sent to this address might get read....Eventually

Thanks I'll look at that in the daylight.
--
Malc

"Your mother can't climb stairs"
‚úĖ
My advise is, to check the diesel hoses for leakage. In this case you will not find fuel spoiled out, instead air bubbles into the diesel hoses and breakes temporarily the fuel supply.

all
have
the
Add pictures here