My baby 64 chevy needs help

I have a 64 with 90,000 org miles. I have a new problem that is a puzzle. I can start is but can't keep it running. I just replace the org. carb and that did make starting easier but i can't take my foot
off the gas. does anybody have ideas i just a little puzzled. I also need to org color code for the baby blue. I hope to paint it before winter. Thanks

Is the problem ignition or fuel? If it starts but dies immediately when you let go of the key, the problem may be the switch or the wire from the ignition switch to the hot side of the coil. Remember there is a resistance in this wire--don't just put in a jumper or the points will burn up in a few hundred miles. It's okay to put in a jumper to test for a minute or three.
Does this have an automatic choke? See if it's opening when the engine starts. It may have a "choke pull-off" that opens the choke as soon as there is engine vacuum. If the diaphragm in that develops a leak, the choke won't open.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
http://www.stovebolt.com - pre-1973 chevy/gmc trucks - tech articles, links, lists of books, gallery with pictures and forums for questisn and answers.

-Woogeroo