64 Chevy C10 Disk brake conversion

I have a 64 chevy truck that i would like to convert to disk brakes, is there a way do this with junk yard parts? The main question would be what vehicle or vehicles could i take the parts from for the conversion? If i have to i will buy the conversion kits, but they are very expensive. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Reply to
marivera

If you had the experience to do this (customize from another vehicle) you'd already have the answer. I'd guess your experience is maybe a little limited.

I doubt there is an easy swap. You didn't say if the truck is 4x4 or just rear drive. If rear only, front disk conversions are a real possibility. 4x4 and rear brakes are more work.

Were this me, I'd take some measurements of the front end spindle, a-arms, and the like. Then start measureing stuff in the yard till somethign is close. You'll possibly have to do welding. You will new a new master cylinder (with vacuum assist if the old one didn't hvae that), proportioning valve, and I'd strongly recommend new brake lines. Disk brakes use higher line pressure than drums. Blow a front brake line on something that old, and the rear brakes won't do much to slow you down.

The best soluti>I have a 64 chevy truck that i would like to convert to disk brakes, is

Reply to
Peter D. Hipson

Before you go to that much work, check this out.

ventilated drums -

high performance shoes -
You may be able to get a significant improvement in performance without changing to discs.

Then again, if you're after looks rather than performance this won't help.

regards, Leon

marivera wrote:

Reply to
Leon Corley

recommended by everyone that has actually done the conversion with their kit at
60-66 trucks forum - registerand ask around yourself. Good people over there. do a search also ondisc swaps once yer registered(it's free).

-dt

-tdt®

Reply to
The Devil's Thirst®

it is very easy i just did my 66 it is the same truck as yours.anything from 67-72 will work.the only thing you will have to replace is your balljoints and tierods with the 67-72 stuff.the 67-72 spindals and everthing will work.the best new kit is from early classic total price including shipping is about 950 dollars but it is worth it.parts you need are from 67-72 trucks.

Reply to
leeroy69

Find a wrecked 70 series truck, I used a 79 for my 63, Bolts right in there and works great, I have pwr steering and bower disc brakes. I had a professional mechanic to the swap for me. there is minimal customizing req'd to mount the steering box and such.

Reply to
James