pitman arm install...'88 chevy

just wanted to know if theres an easy way to put in the new pitman arm....its jamming in the relay arm and the powersteering box.....don't really want to hammer real hard ,for fear of messing up the threads...if
anyone could help me with this l'd be very gratfully' thank you
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 11:20:17 -0400, "flippercandoit"

Like, using a pitman arm puller?
having the same problem is there any tool to get the old one of
"flippercandoit" wrote
> just wanted to know if theres an easy way to put in the new > pitman > arm....its jamming in the relay arm and the powersteering > box.....don't > really want to hammer real hard ,for fear of messing up the > threads...if > anyone could help me with this l'd be very gratfully' > thank you

Pitman arm puller won't work? (Or am I missing something here?)
PeterD wrote:

I guess a pitman arm puller is the best haven't used one yet. on my dually 1ton 80 I removed the steering box and put one of those bearing clamps(the rap aroung the bottom of the pitman arm to give a place to support the arm while using the press) around it and put it in my homemade 12 ton hydraulic press there was a big bang and it was off. Only went on one way IIRC.
squashy wrote:

    The 1988 up C/K GM trucks are a pain in the rear to do a pitman arm on. The hardest part is the nut retaining the arm. Even our highest torque 1/2 drive impact couldn't budge one that was fight us. Ended up one guy holding the socket and breaker bar in place, 2 of us pushing on a 5 foot jack handle over the breaker bar. Ended up breaking a snap on breaker bar, and bending a proto breaker bar. The snap on lasted threw the initial 1/2 turn.
    We had even heated it with a torch first.
    Once the nut was off a good pitman arm puller and a 1/2 drive long handle ratchet took care of the arm. You may have to put forth a high amount of torque on a puller to get the arm to start moving. Do not use a low quality puller!
    If you have access to a air compressor that will supply roughly 120 to 150 P.S.I., and can rent or barrow a high torque 3/4 drive or 1 inch drive impact, you should. Charles