restoration question

I have a 1964 chevy C-10 I would like to restore. I do not have the original engine or transmission. What constitutes original? I would like to put fiberglass finders and hood on it, maybe
some carpet and some other modern updates. Will that devalue the truck? Also my door handles and windo cranks and just about all other chrome pieces are scratched or pitted. Do I have to get the pieces from an old truck or can I buy new pieces? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jwaters64
If you are putting on fiberglass fenders and hood, then the engine isn't important as with fiberglass it is not a proper restoration.
If 'originality' is important it must have the original type steel body parts. Then I'd figure that it had originally a straight six with a three speed. But that's a WAG.
If you must go fiberglass, then any chevvy motor is find, say a 350. I would also drop in an automatic at the same time.
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:28:54 -0400, "jwaters64"

I am restoring a 64 SWB stepside myself. There were very few "luxuries" like carpet and such back then. I am trying very hard to find original parts and some are having to be fabricated. There are several suppliers that still stock the parts you are needing. http://www.classicindustries.com / http://www.bowtiebits.com / http://www.oldmusclecars.com / http://www.lmctruck.com / http://www.americanclassic.com / http://www.brotherstrucks.com / http://www.chevyduty.com / These are just a few. If you are interested in restoring the bed as well this page will help a lot. http://www.gmcpauls.com/47-72%20BedWood%20Info.htm If you need any further links or help just email me.
--
Tom Adams
Independent AMSOIL Distributor

You have to decide what you are trying to do. On one end of the world, there is the top end fully restored collectible vehicle. It must have all the original parts with appropriate serial numbers where applicable.
On the other end of the world, there is the daily driver. It can have any parts that seem appropriate to the owner. A 50 Chevy five window, converted to 12 volts with an electric windshield wiper, an add on heater, disc brake conversion, he original closed drive shaft replaced so you can make the rear end taller and add an overdrive transmission, and a later 235 would be about the best 50 3100 you could have. (I'm not familiar with the newer, i.e. mid sixties Chevys.)
If you are trying to make money by the restoration, you would probably be better off spending the time working on a real estate license.
--
-------
Charly Coughran

http://www.autoforumz.com/Classic-Trucks-restoration-ftopict112136.html