Starting 1963 Chevy C-10 not driven in 4 years

I've inherited a 1963 Chevy C-10 pickup, 6cyl, manual trans, that hasn't been driven in 4 years. I need also to buy a battery for it.

What, if anything, needs to be done to a vehicle to get it started after it's been sitting for so long? For example, is the gas in the tank still good, or does it need to be drained? Should any parts be oiled or lubricated?

How can I find out what is the right battery (group size, CCA, etc) for this truck? I don't have the old battery to look at because it was stolen. Thanks.

Reply to
Ethan

Hi!

Check all the major fluids and make sure they are still there and in sufficient quantity. Make sure the air filter and its housing are clean. If you have enough oil in the motor, you can probably at least start it that way, but I'd change the oil and filter right away.

I'd recommend changing most of the fluids shortly afterward. Hard to say how much crud has built up while the truck has been sitting.

When I "revived" my 84 Sierra Diesel pickup, I just made sure that all the fluids and the oil were in good shape. It had been sitting from '97 until late 2000. With some fresh batteries, I cranked the truck up until it started. After making sure that it was basically driveable, I changed most all the fluids immediately. Depending upon how your truck was stored, you may have to repair some lines and tubing. I had to replace one of the rear brake lines and a few lights on my truck.

While it hasn't been driven daily since then, I do try to drive it at least once or twice every two weeks. Helps keep nature from taking over, that sort of thing...

I'd change the gas. Hard to say what's its done in four years. My truck started and ran on the fuel it had onboard, but I don't know if gas and Diesel fuel age differently.

Maybe one of those "battery computers" or books that you can find in the battery section of a Wal-Mart or an auto parts store? I've seen at least one that went back to the early sixties or so. If nothing else you can just measure the battery tray and buy a battery that happens to fit in there.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Battery will be a group size 24, top post battery. Any thing over 350 CCA will do the job, that's bigger than most batteries back then. I would pull the plugs and then take an oil can, the trigger pump kind and give each cylinder 2-4 squirts of plain old 30 weight. Let it sit a few minutes and then crank it over with the plugs out to lubricate the cylinders, they are more than likely bone dry. Of course your going to check all the fluids before doing anything, and yes figure on draining the gas tank. If you just want to start it up, get a length of fuel hose the right size, hook it to the fuel pump, and put the other end in a gallon gas can sitting on the ground next to the truck. Also the first time you try to crank it make darn sure no one is in front of the truck and that it is in neutral, that old a rig, sitting that long, the clutch could be froze to the flywheel. 63 was sweet looking truck, especially the short bed step siders, or short bed fleetside. They drive like a drunk sailor on saturday leave in the turns, but with good shocks and tires they ride nice. Someone must have thought a great deal of you to have left you that rig. Expect to see pics, before, during and after your getting back into shape. One question, is that straight 6, or one of GM's mighty V-6 engines? Whitelightning .

Reply to
Whitelightning

-------------------------------------------------- Ethan,if it was me I wouldn't take any chances.I fired up a car once that had been sitting for a couple years and it made a horrendous clanking from the rod bearings until it built up oil pressure.I'm sure that didn't help them much. I've also seen gas deteriorate after 2 years to the point that I couldn't start the engine until I drained and replaced all the gas.Kind of smelled like turpentine. If it was mine(and I did have a '63 exactly like yours with the 230ci six)I would remove the spark plugs and shoot in a little fresh engine oil(30w) in each hole.Then I would change the oil and filter.I would DEFINITELY drain the gas from the tank and if you can,from the carb and lines.That old stuff won't start your truck.Siphon out the tank and add a full tank of good gas.Then I would short the high tension wire (the one going to the center of the distributor)and crank it over for 30 seconds or so to get oil around.Replace plugs(check condition and gap

1st)and start it up.Before driving it test out the brakes,make sure they are firm,and that they stop the truck(before you get it going real fast).Of course check the brake fluid,coolant and steering fluid (if equipped with power). That should do it.good luck. Brian O. ********************
Reply to
Brian Orion

Number one first and foremost is to pull the plugs and lube the cylinders as suggested by Whitelightning. Then drain the old oil as suggested by everyone. After you do that, you MUST get fresh oil to the crank, or you will spin the bearings the first time you try to crank it. Find out how to prime and spin the oil pump on that straight six. Then get it to rotate manually (if possible). I couldn't tell ya how....I am not that up on the old sixes, but someone here should know. I hope...I would like to know now.....

Reply to
Eightupman

Them old six lube just like the fours and the eights, the distributor spins the pump. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Figured as much, but was not 100% sure so I did not want to show my ass.....All I ever rebuilt was a straight 6 out of a Jeep back in 1992, and don't remember much about it at all, besides the fact that you could get a header and a 4 bbl manifold for it!

Reply to
Eightupman

I would think that with the plugs removed and a good battery, just cranking it over should get oil moving around. Maybe not up to full pressure but enough to get to the bearings.

Reply to
TaskMule

You do not want to electrically crank it because the bearings may have fused to the crank. Get the pressure up FIRST, and then try cranking by hand. Then if you can spin it freely, hit it with the starter.

Reply to
Eightupman

rephrase......the only straight 6's I ever build was out of a Jeep and a BMW, and do not remember much about them.

Reply to
Eightupman

Hello Ethan,

If the engine does not crank by hand (large wrench on main pulley/crankshaft bolt), the rings may be rusted/fused to the cylinder walls. If after spraying oil through the sparkplug holes still will not let the engine crank by hand, you may want to consider filling up the engine with oil to the top of the engine block, let it sit for a couple of days, and try cranking by hand. If after engine turns a few times by hand, drain the oil and let sit for a few hours, install the drain plug, fill to proper level and fire away with the starter without the sparkplugs. Don't crank with the starter for more than 15 seconds. Wait ten minutes before cranking again with the starter. Do this about five times. Recharge the battery. Install spark plugs (cleaned or new) and may the force be with you... Good luck, Franko

Reply to
Franko