stripped shell removal

I've got a couple of cars I'm stripping for parts - there's not going to be much left after I've done this, just the shell, perhaps not even wheels. Does anyone have any opinions on sensible disposal in the Solihull / Birmingham areas.

I've done this before: The first one was removed by the local council's "contact" who was mightily pissed off. Basically he gets the cars for free, often charges a few quid for removal and complains when all he gets is a shell. The second car I hacked into big chunks and disposed of at Tyseley Waste site (with permission).

I want to be a bit more clever this time - either find someone who can grab the shell away for free (and is only interested in the secondhand steel value) - or a find a ferrous recycler who might give me a few quid *if* I can get the shell to them (but that means not keeping the wheels).

Unfortunately Birmingham's rather more enlightened unwanted car removal policy (free) is not available to me - I'm 200 yards over the boundary into Solihull :-(

This is strictly hobby / weekend therapy and only pocket-money commercial.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers, Ken.

Reply to
DocDelete

DocDelete ( snipped-for-privacy@nospamtodaythanks.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Get it on a trailer, get it to your local scrap metal yard, and weigh it in. They'll give you some money in return.

Reply to
Adrian

Check with your local fire station. They will often take old cars for training purposes, maybe they'd take a shell as well. And you get the warm glow that comes with having done your bit. No money involved, unfortunately.

Reply to
deadlock

The message from "deadlock" contains these words:

When I worked for Hounslow Community Trapsnort we gave the local brigade an old Dormobile style minibus which was seriously knackered. They were dead excited 'cos they normally only get cars to play with and then only what they can scronge 'cos there's no budget to buy any. I drove past a few days later and they'd knocked it over on its side and had clearly had a smashing time. I later learned they'd invited several neighbouring brigades over to play with the tail-lift and practice evacuating wheelchairs etc.

Reply to
Guy King

I don't see why you shouldn't for example, chop up the bodywork and trolley it over to somewhere like, say, Lifford Lane where they have metal recycling facilities. Perhaps your local councils waste disposal might do the same - see the web site for your local council/environment services etc. or try this link

They've never asked me for ID when taking household waste/old batteries gallons of car oil (with 3 to service every 6 months it soon "piles" up), and neither has Worcs waste disposal near the Manchester inn which is closer.

There a breakers yard at Portway off the A435 whose signs now claim it to be an "end of life vehicle disposal" centre - yours fits the bill! Just ring them up, or any breakers,scrap metal merchants from Yellow Pages as an alternative to the council's own site.

Breakers who come for this stuff aren't usually too pleased if it's ready-stripped - on the other hand, if you have contacted the council for disposal, and he turns up, he's already been paid.!

NB tried selling the shell on Ebay - depending on what it is/how badly gone/damaged/corroded, you never know your luck

Reply to
R. Murphy

You don't want a breaker for this type of thing, you want a scrap metal dealer. A shell alone should be worth about £20; last one I weighed in (Farina A60, no engine but stuffed with waste metal items) netted me £44.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I couldn't possibly reccomend cutting the VIN number out of the shell, thus rendering it untraceable and leaving it at the side of the road......

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I wouldn't.

I ride bikes.

On country lanes and even bike tracks, I'm constantly having to avoid dumped vehicles and the debris left embedded in the road/track surface once they are removed.

The most interest incident was when travelling down a local bridleway one evening, around a bend on a narrow track - and just managed to avoid a mini engine/gearbox unit dumped in the middle of the track - and the pile of broken windows dumped to one side of it.

If these things can be carried to such locations, they can be taken to the local tip or scrappie - in this case, both about 2 miles/10 mins drive away.

Personally, no, I would not even suggest this one, even as a joke.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Easy! Buy a friendly neighbour a beer, and get them to collect it from their house!

Reply to
Howard Rose

Best idea yet!

Reply to
R. Murphy

Try looking at this from his POV for a moment. I do that stuff, although not in your area, so I know how he feels.

He has to come from his home/premises in a lorry, quite likely a 7.5 tonner. Then load up the shell, which means either having a crane, or a fair bit of grunting and heaving to get this POS on the lorry. Then drive to the scrap metal yard, potentially wait in a queue, get paid (of which more in a moment), then drive to his home again, or wherever else he's going next.

When he gets paid for it he will drive over a weighbridge, unload, then over the weighbridge again and the difference between the two weights is what he gets paid. Your stripped shell, without knowing what car it is/was, is likely to weigh about 300-350 Kgs, and the price of such metal (light iron) in my area is currently £ 45 per tonne, which means he's going to get about £15, let's be generous, say £20.

So he's looking at probably between two and three hours work for man and lorry for £20. Does this sound like a commercially viable proposition to you? You'd complain too, right? And I know what some are going to say, he's going to have a Crane lorry and can load several cars on it, that means even more expense, the economics work out much of a muchness.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Nope. I've got timings for this - he did it once before with me.

My car already at roadside (trolleyed it there), 5-10 mins to stop / grab / load up (inc. making secure), quick grumble then he was off. Journey time to me was around 25 mins tops, if only my pick up. I'm not exaggerating.

I also know his procedure - he had three other vehicles lashed to his truck when he arrived - he takes these back to his yard and does one of two things: sheds the steel en masse himself as soon as he has stripped the more bountiful shells, or sometimes gets the lot collected by the recycler. He'd get less ££££s for the second option but less effort n'est pas?

Not quite the desperate picture you paint, though I do appreciate the overheads of running a business like this, especially if you don't get your commercial process as profitable as possible.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Unfortunately I tried the fire brigade many moons ago: they declined citing health and safety rules - they haven't taken publicly-donated shells for some time.

Best best is to get the shells rolling to a steel recyclers then, I s'pose I can procure some crappy old wheels to do this.

Cheers

Reply to
DocDelete

Wouldn't what?

So? Perhaps if you were to post the right way up and trim to context, your comments would make more sense.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Why not take the wheels off when you get there?

Reply to
Ken