Tools for restoration project

As proved by who? Someone whose gone on to google to look up something instead of telling me they're wrong from their own personal knowledge? Do you think I honestly care about that? Sure, if they actually know what they're on about - yes. But most of the wankers just look it up on Google. Sorry - doesn't count if you want to have a dig.

It's quite funny actually. Alot of the things they've not argued that I'm wrong about seem to be strangely hard/impossible to find with a search engine.

Reply to
Conor

That's why I chose it as an example, they show up the difference between a well made tool & a badly made one much more obviously. The cheap ones can't even cope with brass nuts.

There's little point in making them without the edges parallel & smooth either but a quick glance in the junk box provides plenty of examples of both. There's no definition of what CV has to be, other than some CHrome & some Vanadium. The softer you make it the quicker & easier it is to manufacture.

I don't assume they aren't, I've found that sometimes they aren't, wheras that's extremely rare with a QA approved manufacturer.

They're an expendable item that wears out quickly, the lifespan is extremely dependent on the original size & the heat treatment & alloy, the unbranded ones literally last less than a 10th of the time of Stanleys or Wera's. Or come to that Tengs, which are more expensive than Stanleys.

Reply to
Duncanwood

I agree it's much better but CO2 is adequate. On a job spread over a long period the rental on the coogar type bottle becomes significant, CO2 costs about 10 quid for 2kg and there is no rental after the bottle is acquired.

I tend to take coogar out for a big job and use it quickly, I then keep CO2 as a stand by.

I'm just about ready for a self darkening wrap around hood, any recommendations?

AJH posting from urcm

Reply to
AJH

They're good for stopping sparks going down ears as well!

The mistake I always make with grinding is melting my overalls in the spray of sparks without realising it.

AJH posting from urcm

Reply to
AJH

Negative count alert!

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

There's a wide choice on eBay from £34.95 BIN, upwards. I have one of these which I baught about a year ago.

working well. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I did once set fire to a some rather extra oily overalls with an angle grinder once. A rather strange sort of jig followed as I put myself out and I thought a friend who was watching was going to wet himself.

Reply to
Periproct

Mike

That is easily explained. You probably were right. No one is saying you're wrong all the time. The problem you have on occasion, is that despite being told or pointed to overwhelming evidence to the contrary, you'll never concede there's even the slightest possibility that you might be wrong. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

'Conor wrong' yields about 120000 results!

Reply to
Paul Rooney

The difference in cost would be very little IMO. There's little actual machining on spanners, and finishing would be virtually the same even if the material were slightly softer.

I referred to these in an earlier post.

top 3 are good cheap tools IME. Marked chrome vanadium.Kamasa is a well known make, and their CV tools are excellent value IMO.Especially for the home mechanic who can't justify, or doesn't want to spenda fortune on a good hand tools.They are cheaper than any alternatives that have been offered in otherposts, and are the sort of tools I've been referring to.As for quality, I can vouch for them being strong and accurate, as I alreadyhave many similar Kamasa spanners in my toolkit. The OP asked for advice on buying tools. He also didn't want to spend more than necessary for good tools. I believe my reply as far as spanners are concerned, fulfilled that criteria. If he, or anyone else chooses to ignore my suggestions, fair enough. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

As per the original discussion, it's an obvious example of the difference between cheap tools & expensive ones. Although I've come across cheap spanners that are less use than a decent AJ.

Reply to
Duncanwood

They're good aren't they. THe only downside I've found is the flood lights I use can trigger them, but for the price it's not worth worrying about.

Reply to
Duncanwood

With friends like that..............

Reply to
SimonJ

Well, it's better than one who *wouldn't* piss on you if you were on fire, surely?

:-D

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Duncanwood saying something like:

I scored on off ebay some months back and have been using it on and off. Utterly superb invention; I only wish I'd got one years ago - but years ago they cost an arm and leg.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Does that mean he's been wrong 120000 times? :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Hi, I am also in process of restoring a Spitfire 1500 -new inner / outer wings, boot floor, etc, and the most valuable tools used to date are, a nibbler to cut sheet metal, and a joggler for splicing bits and bobs of repairs. A decent set of metal clamps also helps with welding.

Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Sharrocks

I bought a cheap solar powered one off Ebay a couple of years ago from a trader in California which seemed a bit risky, but the exchange rate was good and his feedback was clean. It arrived very quickly and is brilliant. Cost was about 30 pounds including postage, IIRC.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

They're one of those things that once you've had one, you can never go back.

Reply to
Conor

No, really? Couldn't be the fact you used a common use word or that it was repeated in quoted text.

Reply to
Conor