1986 antenna

How does one best get the faulty radio antenna removed? from which direction - doesn't seem to be any room in which to work.
ssome

I found the best way was to take off the rear wheel and the rear wheel well. You will then have better access to it. There is no "easy" way at getting to it.

ssome wrote:

get to it.
It is a bit of a pain. You have to unscrew a piece of plastic (if I remember correctly) with your left hand blindly.
Big pain in the butt...you might get to it if you remove the left side tail lights..also a big pain since now you also have to remove the license plate ....as best as I can remember the whole procedure was a mess and very time consuming for what should have been a simpler task.
Also while you are at it you might consider updating to a late model antenna..they are much more reliable.( see ECKLERS )
My mechanic was able to do it without taking off the wheel or anything else in my garage. He did remove the plastic "trim" work in the hatchback compartment to get to the wiring etc. No need to rip the rear end apart if the guy knows what he's doing.
i did that to unplug the ant relay to stop it from grinding down the battery but, a lot more would have to be removed to get to even see the ant housing. thanks to all
ssome