96 Windshield Wiper Question

When I use the wipers on my 96, they sometimes stay one for anywhere from a couple of seconds to a few minutes after I turn them off. If I use the
washer or a delay speed, they maintain the slow speed setting. Anyone have suggestions where to look for the problem? My first thought is a sticking relay, but I'd rather check the great knowledge base here before replacing unnecessary parts.
Rob