Ahhh the smell of summer

Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......

Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.

Reply to
Dad

Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......

Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear. ___________________

They've been rebuilding Cumberland Avenue the last couple of years, and now between my house and the local Wally World there are 3 (three!) roundabouts in that two-miles, one-way. This is fun when there's no traffic around.

AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

AAAAAh crap I missed the H in MPH, just as bad as unloading this thing and missing third gear. Just haven't got that down yet.

Can't gripe to much but I've been rained on every time I take the '64 to a cruise in or car show this year. After last year I'll take the rain any way we can get it.

They have been building some of the roundabouts near me and I'll take them over the stupid 4 way stops any day. One time when I was new to driving in England I passed a car in a roundabout on the left hand side. Most everyone close by wanted me to know they had a horn and middle finger. Found out later that to passing someone on the left was not the thing to do. I like that, now a days you never know when there is someone passing you on the right but then but due to the Left Lane Losers it has become necessary.

Reply to
Dad

Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......

Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.

-------------------------------- Summer indeed. Already very hot here in Middle GA south of Atlanta. Lots of rain. Recall back in the 50s and into the 60s people with sports cars (Healeys, Triumphs. MGs and even Corvettes) used to wave when they passed each other. Not so any more, although us S2000 owners do wave or blink headlights. Another fine tradition gone.

Reply to
tww1491

Must be a southern thing, people up here still wave at fellow sports car drivers. Healeys & Triumphs in the 50s, not a chance. What's an S2000?

Reply to
Dad

...out here Covetters and bikers still wave...I think most like vehicles still wave at each other.

But I know I'm not going out *today* to wave at anybody...heading to 115 today, and I heard at breakfast this morning that it was 130 in Death Valley yesterday! Talk about "hot asphalt"...

Reply to
Rufus

It used to be that the C5 whiners said the older Corvette drivers didn't wave because they were jealous, and the older ones said the C5s didn't have the Corvette knowledge to keep up the wave. Then it repeated when the C6 came out. I have to admit I'm caught paying more attention to driving than I do the whiners. If I see any Corvette in time I wave, if not, live with it.

I saw that Death Valley might reach 130 yesterday but didn't know it had, one hot mother to drive through. All the way from Beatty to Mojave every sound the car made would make you jump, thinking it was going to fail any time. Was in the high 60s here last night and a light rain right now.

Reply to
Dad

I generally get feedback for not waving at people in cars that I know when I'm on my Harley...I tell them that when I'm on my Harley I'm too busy trying not to get hit by the cars to notice or care who's *in* them...

...but bikers almost always wave at each other when passing and all gens of Corvetters wave at each other 'round here. And I notice it on the highway.

Taking a look, the current Death Valley temp is 128 and the forecast for the next two days is for 130.

And last night's overnight *low* here in the Indian Wells Valley was

*80*! Currently reading 112, I bet it's higher in the bright sunshine.
Reply to
Rufus

I can't and won't complain about our weather this year. There's a saying here that the corn is good if it's knee high by the 4th of July, well this year it will be shoulder high by the 4th of July.

Reply to
Dad

...irrigation works. Back east in Illinois corn country where I'm from they're still waiting on rain I think. And hurting.

I hear the northern half of the state is being drenched though.

Aaahhh...a nice balmy 104 here now at 9:15 pm...and it must be drying out - my cooler is actually cooling...

Reply to
Rufus