Smell of burning!

After driving my D1 for a while, when I get out I can smell a burning rubber smell from around the front of the car, despite lifting the bonnet and checking for rubbing pipes etc I can't trace where the hell it's coming from. I doubt anyone can help but has anyone had this symptom and found the cause on a 1996 D1 V8???

I wondered if it was tyres rubbing/scrubbing but can't see any sign of this.

Reply to
Andy

I had this on all my V8's & never found what it was. It wasn't 'burning' smell, but something very hot IYSWIM.

Gawd knows what it is

Reply to
Nige

It could just be hot components I guess but it does smell like rubber melting!! This coupled with the weird cutting out and not starting has got me paranoid that it's going go up in smoke with an electrical fault!!

Reply to
Andy

Well you've been tinkering with quite a few hoses on this one. Ones nearest the manifolds would be my first look. No off cuts landed on the exhaust manifold have they?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Can't see anything obvious at all :-(

Reply to
Andy

Mine only ever did it when the road was wet :)

Reply to
Nige

Rubber/oil from the road surface burning off on the exhaust. It finds its way there after driving in the wet as Nige mentions.

Reply to
Dougal

Could it be the serpentine belt rubbing?

Reply to
Molesworth

Oil leaks tracking down from the rocker covers because the bolts have vibrated loose is common on V8 rover engines...... I doubt if it's an issue here (it'd have burnt out by now, lol) but I had something similar on a 2.25 many years ago - starter solenoid had stuck and the engine was driving the starter like a high-power dynamo and it burnt all the starter wires. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Agreed, even my new RR does it :)

Reply to