Amazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

I thought that was hilarious too. Now this pitiful little dribbler thinks his car is a penis extender.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

WOW

That W8 is so good you can't even buy them in the USA any longer. All the production must get sucked up in Europe, huh?

Any reason why the race didn't pit a new W8 vs a new base C6? No, I'm sure not.

Reply to
ACAR

Because the W8 is NOT from the same generation as the C6, it's the same generation as the C5. People were not willing to pay $40,000+ for a 174 MPH 8 cylinder Passat when they could get a 155 MPH 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder Passat for 20-30K. They would rather buy an Audi or Lexus at that price. Family Car buyers didn't care much about extra power or extra speed so the the W8 is no longer made. If the Passat W8 Six Speed Sport was still made, the latest one would have about 400-430BHP and have a top speed of 200-205 MPH. Passats are among the MOST efficient midsize cars at translating horsepower into speed I've ever seen. the older

170 BHP 4 Cylinder Passat can do 155.3 MPH with the governor Removed, and the older W8 can do 174 MPH with just 270 BHP. In fact, the first generation 270 BHP Acura NSX can do 168 MPH, while the 270 BHP Passat W8 can do 174 MPH. That's a damn impressive statistic.

Reply to
Sal

My 400 BHP+ stat for a THEORETICAL 2008 Passat W8 Six Speed Sport is based on the fact that the V6 Passat jumped from 190 BHP to 280BHP and

300 BHP for the V6 and V6 R36 from last generation to this generation. 400-430BHP and a 200 to 205 MPH top speed are VERY GOOD ESTIMATES for what the W8 would be doing with the governor removed if it was still around.
Reply to
Sal

"THEORETICAL" and "VERY GOOD ESTIMATES" sum up this thread.

With enough horsepower or thrust, you can make a brick move quickly. Making it maneuverable under a variety of wind-gust and road surface conditions at those speeds is what takes engineering talent.

Sedans, at speed, tend to get ugly.

<

That's why they have governors or limiters.

-- pj

Reply to
PJ

Yeah, Sedans are horrible at speed. Oh wait my mistake, the Stock 730 BHP Brabus Rocket CLS V12 Twin Turbo will kick any stock Corvette ass on the track or the Autobahn.

Reply to
Sal

Snip foolish blather...

What does "if it was still around" tell you??? Sal is having as much fun with his dreams as having sex with Marilyn Monroe, if she was still around. That might be it, he likes them dead.

By the way when one of the car rags was test driving the new C6 by taping off the grill and folding the mirrors back they came up with

190 MPH, and beyond most peoples ability to handle, a speed that is close to the 200 MPH that seems so dear to ol Sal. That was a stock C6 without the dicking around with the rev limiters.
Reply to
Dad

It's not a legit anything. It's a one-off, never-will-be-mass-produced abomination.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I love this response

Reply to
ZÿRiX

Ok so I don't own either car but even if what you say is true, frankly I'll take a Honda Accord for a daily driver and a Corvette for fun driving any day over your choices. I dare you to tell me your family car is more reliable than the Honda or more popular than a Corvette? Where I live, I don't see too many Passats compared to Corvettes so I guess per your rant, no matter how fast they are, people prefer Corvettes.

And I don't recall recently seeing anyone here claim the Corvette was the fastest car around. What I have seen is that it's a fun car to drive with good performance.

Reply to
db

Reply to
Sal

YOU are the moron living in a dream world. Last year Passats were

75,000, compared to 34,000 Corvettes. So c> Are you living in a dream world? Passats must outsell Corvettes at
Reply to
Bob I

Show me your stats. I live in Texas and I can honestly say I see many more Corvettes than Passats here but I admit this isn't a scientific survey just my overall observation while driving. I'd guess I see about 6 or more Corvettes to 1 Passat.

Now based on facts, Passats might be the best selling european midsize car in US (according to you not me; I didn't bother to verify your claim so I just accept it as fact) but they aren't the best OVERALL selling midsize car in the US as that honor goes to either the toyota camry or honda accord (depends which year). Again I must see about 10 to 15 Toyota Camrys or Honda Accords to every Passat around here.

But back to the main topic, I doubt many will care if the Passat is faster than a Corvette (your claim not mine) because its not just about speed but performance and fun. I can't speak for others but its hard to find roads around here where you can go over 90 mph for very long so top speed means little to me but if I compare the Passat to the Corvette, performance and fun to drive will mean a lot more to me.

Reply to
db

What are you talking about? Passats have the MOST horsepower in their class. Passat 4 Cylinder 200 BHP, Passat V6 280 BHP, Passat R36 300 BHP. That's more than Accord, Camry, Sonata, Altima, Fusion, Malibu, and Sebring.

You obviously know NOTHING about cars thinking that Passats have less power than their competition.

Reply to
Sal

Yeah, Passats get crappy gas milage. OH WAIT, the 2008 Passat TDI thanks to Variable turbine geometry helps increase power without sacrificing efficiency, resulting in the BEST FUEL ECONOMY of ANY

3500lbs+ car IN THE WORLD.

So much for your stupid opinion.

Reply to
Sal

Passat sold 331,414 which was +28.3% in Europe in 2006. It's only getting more popular. The US is NOT the world, only a small part of the world. The world thinks of Corvettes like it thinks of Jerry Springer. Name any country where the Corvette sold close to that.

Reply to
Sal

Japanese cars like Toyotas are fine cars. Especially the Lexus LS600H. Now American cars are trash compared to European or Japanese cars.

Reply to
Sal

Reply to
Jim Behning

Well 0, but the Passat R36 is sort of a psuedo replacement for the Passat W8 but it's a milder tamer version. A 174 MPH 8 cylinder Midsize Family Sedan was just too much for the American consumer to handle but it was perfect for the German Consumer. If the Highways in the US didn't suck and were as good as the Autobahn, then the W8 would have been way more popular in the US. VW just loves the W series cars from the W8 all the way to the W16 in the Bugatti Veyron so the W8 will eventually make a return even if it's not in a Passat but an Audi, Lamborghini, or even a Bentley.

Reply to
Sal

:>Japanese cars like Toyotas are fine cars. Especially the Lexus LS600H. :>Now American cars are trash compared to European or Japanese cars. :>

All this bombastic bluster and I have to ask Sal, what car(s) do you own and drive? And I mean real cars, not VR cars on some dorky video game.

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel