Buffing Paint??

I have a friend whos SUV (Black) needs buffing. Love Bugs & Waterspots.... He has an ORBITAL buffer.
What is a good compound to use with an orbital?
He called a local paint supplier and the guy immediately went to the 1500-2000 grit wet sanding route, then buff... That's a little severe for me to help him with. LOL
Plus I don't know if an orbital will bring it back from a full on wetsanding.
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
Ric Seyler wrote:

Hey Ric, ...probably best to let Dad rule on this one.
Check to see if it's clearcoated. My last experience trying to restore black was on a friends '87 that had clearcoat over the black. Car has been 'cooked' in the sun a lot.
We started a gentle buff and the clearcoat started 'falling apart' (sort of lifting in crumbs). Turned into a lot of sanding to remove the coat. -- pj

Watch out for the edges.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

on cutdown buffing otherwise the trailing edge can flip and foul your bonnet/pad with adhesive. The finish polish will allow 1/4 tape use, normal buff and polishing requires the leading edges to be taped as many as 3 times for a good job. If you are the painter and have some of the color paint left and like to blend color do it any way you like.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51