buffing wheels

i used a green scrub pad to get some tar off my wheels and it left scratches. i dont mind rock rash, but cant tolerate scrubber scratches. whats the best way to get the scratches out? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Cotton buffing wheel and scratch X... would be just about the most subtle (go up in abrasiveness if it's not strong enough) I just buffed out the plastic instrument lenses in my dash... they were so scuffed they looked permenantly dirty. If you've got a clear coat on the wheels or they are "brushed" looking then you've got a problem... the clearcoat might be buffable... or you might burn it away. So go slow with the buffing wheel. If they have the matte brushed/frosted aluminum look with no coating then you'd probably be better off just living with it; than trying to match the abrasive size and non-directional pattern.

One last thing, if they are clear coated, try some carnuba wax without buffing.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

On 23 Jan 2004 05:57 AM, Nathan Collier posted the following:

First thing I would try is some Simichrome polish. If that doesn't work, then you may be looking at using the polishing wheels. Eastwood shoud have the stuff you will need at

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

9 volt cordless Dremel, large polishing pad, and just a very tiny bit of car precleaner. Hopefully has enough abrasion to remove the scratches without removing the clearcoat paint overcoat most wheels these days have. Rubbing compound also works...with extreme care.

As the german said, if wurst comes to wurst, there are wheel repaint kits available.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11