Ethanol / gasoline mix

Page 1 of 2
I don't own a Corvette yet so I'm just wondering with all the talk about ethanol / gasoline mixes, is it safe to use this in stock Corvettes? Any limit on how much % ethanol to use in the Corvette for
acceptable performance? Typically I see 15% ethanol mixes but have been told there is as high as 85% ethanol mixes (I have yet to see it where I live).
<RT> wrote in message

Runs fine in my '64, but you need to have a vehicle that is made to burn 85% to go much over the 15% blend in most combustion engines.
The only problem I've seen so far is that with the old vented systems you do get some evaporation loss in this hot weather, that's not an ethanol problem though.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Dad, if I understand you correctly does that mean it's safe to run 15% or less in the C5 or C6's ? I ask because I may buy a C6 or C7 coupe before I retire.
<RT> wrote in message

Not sure I understand your question, is it safe, not if you hit something while driving it with any type fuel. Will the Corvette run on blended fuel with ethanol, yes, and I look for the percentage to go up shortly.
With close to 100k miles on C5s and this C6 and having bought fuel in more than 2 dozen states, of which blended is all some sell, they haven't missed a lick so far.
I don't see your issue???

Ok, that seems to answer my question about Corvettes using blended fuels without a loss/significant loss in performance. Thanks.
RT wrote:

Not so fast Red Rider.
You're OK in C5s and C6s with the blends. C4s with Multec injectors can't go above 10%. Destroys the insulation in the injector coils. Then, the performance takes a hit.
Some of the plastic parts, floats and gaskets in older carbs don't play well with Ethanol but a 'kit' job will repair the damage.
-- pj

That's is what we were refering to, C5 & C6.

Where are you getting enough ethanol to distroy the insulation in an injector? I'm not sure it's just the ethanol that is eating parts and believe it has allot to do with the blend.

Been there, done that, but we were only talking about C5s and C6 with a possible C7 thrown in.

On or about Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:22:53 -0500, RT wrote or did cause to be written:

WHOA!!! Dad didn't say that. He would have if that is what you asked because he LOVES ethanol but you just asked if it was safe and it IS safe to use in a modern car. But you do take a big performance hit. Ethanol has about 33% less energy per gallon. That is offset somewhat by its octane rating of 100+. In a C6 you should expect about 10 RWHP less running a 10% ethanol mix. You also get 0.5-1 mpg less mileage.
And before the usual crowd chimes in "Well I never saw any difference" this is physics. The fact you didn't observe the physics doesn't change the physical properties of ethanol. Look it up. Even the ethanol producers acknowledge it doesn't provide the performance or economy of gasoline.

Ethanol isn't necessarily my love in life but Corvettes and travel are. I started a 10,000 mile trip in a new 2004 C5, less than 400 miles when I left. My travel took me from Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum in Auburn Indiana to Portland Oregon, then to Greenville South Carolina.
Many of the western states were running 10/15% ethanol and mileage varied as much by driving at night as it did with different brands/blends of gas. Average for the trip was 28.8, high was 32 mpg with Shell w/ethanol. Both the tank before and after were better than the low of 27.2 and major versus unheard of brands seemed to be little different. Driving to show its difference is just not accurate enough to prove anything much.
I will not try to address the performance change if any, my seat of the pants dynamometer is not any more accurate than anyone else's on here.
It's strange that a new performance gadget can be added and "it sure feels stronger", but seldom does it feel less. The difference just isn't enough to worry about for the new gadget or using ethanol. You just can't measure the difference without it being done in a lab, and I haven't seen a good test yet, most are trying to prove their point rather than fact.
By this all I can say is Dale is right, plus ethanol is here to stay, the greenies said so.

Some farmers are makin' some money, and geopolitically ethanol isn't a bad idea either. At today's prices, the sultans and oil company sheiks are still gettin' theirs though.

AJM
On or about Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:05:02 -0400, "Dad"
10% ethanol is hard to notice. That's 0.1 * 0.3 = 3% less performance and economy. Again, because of the increase in octane rating, it might only be 2.5%. With a 400HP engine that's 10 hp. Hard to notice. With the current 28mpg highway rating it's 0.7mpg less. You're right that driving habits make a far larger impact. E85 will be more than 100hp and 7mpg less. THAT will be noticeable.
But the environmentalists have lost very few battles in the past. Who can argue against baby seal eyes. Facts don't matter. Say ethanol is good for the environment. Doesn't matter that we will erode farm land that took thousands of years to develop. Doesn't matter that it takes a lot more energy to grow it than to refine oil. Doesn't matter that it puts more CO2 into the atmosphere than oil. JUst say it's good for the environment and that should be enough. Ethanol is here to stay.
And the news on the TV this moment is how oil companies are rethinking increasing gasoline production since the President has said he wants to decrease usage by 20% and replace it with ethanol. No matter that this would take all the farm land currently used to grow corn for food resulting in skyrocketing meat prices. The oil companies are listening and shelving plans to increase production meaning gas prices will increase drastically in the future when we don't see that 20% decrease in demand. Sometimes you just want to scream "WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!"
</rant off> 10% Ethanol is safe to use but I will gladly pay 30 cents more / gallon for real gas.
it is the law in Seattle every winter - 10% mix
ssome
wrote or did cause to be written:

In the mid-west you have to look for the non-10%ethanol otherwise that's the norm.
ssome wrote:

In my '96 Toyota truck (10% ethanol mandatory in my area of Oregon), the mileage dropped about 30%. Thought something else may be wrong and had a complete tune-up to the tune of $600 -- helped a wee bit but still down about 25%.
Thankfully I work only 4 blocks from home and only drive about 250 miles a month in my truck -- but still it seems pretty self-defeating to claim environmental responsibility but go far less on a gallon.
We need to invest in research that will completely replace transportation using combustibles.
Here's waving to ya - \||||
Owen ___
'67BB & '72BB
-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___
And all for $3.80 a gallon
wrote or did cause to be written:

Ethanol is NO solution. Just the government kissing the asses of the midwest corn farmers. The rest of us (including the environment and our car engines) are being screwed.
Vito
wrote or did cause to be written:

Get over it, corn ethanol is just a stepping stone to cellulosic ethanol which will be the liquid replacement for gasoline.
Uncle_vito wrote:

Bob I wrote:

Let's hope industry and the government accurately understand the economics of cel-ethanol before they shove us taxpayers into another bottomless pit of subsidies & tax breaks.
Good read on who's going broke on corn-ethanol: <http://tinyurl.com/2m5h6j
Last night, I enjoyed my ethanol in a glass of Cabernet to accompany a NY strip steak (fattened on California sugar beets). Corn makes for a better steak but it's hard to find corn-fed now-a-days!
Somehow I think the 'greenies' are going to complicate my life with an extra recycling bin. A bin for 'non-cellulose green' and another for 'cellulose rich green.' (I wonder how much extra diesel will be spent to run the extra truck to collect this stuff.)
-- pj

pj wrote:

Understand? I think we'd be fooling ourselves if we believed the hairy legged tree huggers actually thought out the consequences and side effects of their demands. Heck take a look at the messes California gets themselves into with "their" insistence on requiring "over the top" regulations. Electricity(prices), water(shortages), fuel((MTBE), the list just keeps getting longer.
...Water -- you have it right -- just like Atlanta. We're protecting a fish few people have ever seen. I'm being paid a buck a square-foot to tear out my lawn. ...Electricity -- Nah, We suckered into a 'free market system.' Then Cheney's FPC turned that into a nightmare, ruling that Enron was honest. The current Calif. ISO is light years ahead of what other regions have. Calif's anti-nukes are coming around. We've got six reactors to replace and more to build. We'll be OK. ...MTBE -- Yup, you got it right. We shot ourselves in the foot on that one. Should have shutdown the gas stations with leaky tanks. The sob-sisters & hand-wringers failed to get tough and kick-butt when it was needed. ...Air Quality -- Federal EPA Regulations, policing and fines drive most of our decisions. Our county can *fail* on a beautiful clear day if a single monitor is bad (that's usually in Alpine, CA.)
-- pj