Foam in antifreeze resevour! C5

Every few weeks I need to add coolant to my '98 C5. I've been told by weo shops there no leaks but every morning three's way too much water in the driveway. What really bothers me is when I go to add water or coolant even when the engines cool and not running when I fill it to overflow. the coolant is all foamy and aerated. Almost milky wit with tiny bubbles. The temp never goes above normal and runs fine. Should I flush the system? Could some hwise guy put soap in the coo lent reservoir?

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

Not sure when the change to Dexcool occurred. If the '98 uses it see:

Radiator Cap? If it's in the driveway all night it might be "crying" for a warm garage. {:-(

Reply to
PJ

I would pull an oil analysis sample asap to make sure there are no internal leaks letting coolant into the engine oil. These are very common on GM V-6 engines. You don't have a V-6, but I would check just the same. It is possible that the symptoms you describe could be caused by a failed head gasket.

is one of many companies that do this kind of work. They will send you a sample kit. You send them the sample and about $20 and you will find out if there is contamination.

Easy and cheap and well worth knowing.

There are many other labs which provide the same service.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I would flush it and hope.... Otherwise you are giving a classic description of a blown head gasket.

One test is to carefully warm it up with the rad cap off and watch what happens. If smoke also starts coming out the rad opening, it is the gasket for sure.

Mike

Mike Romain

If you are loosing antifreeze it is leaking. If you see antifreeze on the driveway it is leaking. If you see bubbles and foam in the reservoir chances are good the head gasket is blown. I don't know what weo shops is but since you apparently know anything about engines I would find a qualified mechanic to check it out before you have to replace the whole engine...

Reply to
Woody

Now you're talking. This whole thing reeks of poor judgment and very bad maintenance. First off the 98 Corvette has a low coolant warning that is very sensitive and will even come on if you park on an incline and you never mention that it came on. Adding coolant because you see to much water on the driveway is the first step towards disaster. What coolant was added, if it was incorrect for a GM vehicle you have contaminated the coolant system. Is it not possible that the two shops that said there was no leak was correct? Then you added more coolant then it was designed for? When you say the temperature never goes above normal could that mean the coolant is at a proper level or a safe operational level?

My first suggestion is to take it to someone that knows something about cars and keep your hands off of it. You have come up with more problems on one Corvette than I have had with the last 6 that I've owned.

Knock off the cross posting, if you want another opinion post it to that group by it's self. If you just need attention post it to the proper group, now back in the black hole. Of course if you post your crap to enough groups it will come up here again. Then I'll have to block those people to stop your drivel.

Sorry for the cross posting but you might want to be aware of this guys background.

Have a wonderful day.

Reply to
Dad

Reply to
RicSeyler

I see water in the driveway but it doesn't smell like coolant. It's clear like water. When I add water to the reseviour foam overflows even without the engine running and the engine running 1/4 (like 1 minute) a block to get to my condo's carwash to fill it.. Midas and The Chevy Dealer said they're was no leaks and nothing was wrong. BTW the foam is white and has no particular smell.

Sorry about the crossposting. I thought I was multiposting.

Reply to
Steve Horrillo

Any chanced that the stuff on the driveway is A/C condensate.

Meanwhile, I agree that it's time to flush the cooling system and replace the coolant (with the correct type.) Then start measuring how much coolant is used to top off this car.

Reply to
PJ

I add coolant/water only when the low coolant warning goes on. No inclines in Florida. I used 50/50 Prestone and water and have been fillng it to the brim only to try to flush out the foam. According to the manual I've been doing it all wrong. Had no idea a C5 cooling system is so touchy. I used water and Water Wetter in my Viper and never had a problem. Never had a problem with the Vete either until recently when I broght the car in to the deaer for a new A/C compressr. It's at 98,000 miles BTW.

BTW the sqeaking belt noise stopped, the interior guages and exterior lights stopped dimming every 15 seconds, and the light's are myseriously opening fine now.

Reply to
Steve Horrillo

I assume some of it is condensate which is locate toward the passenger side front and it's completely clear and odorless, but I sometimes see a small puddle on the ground (not inside the car) on the driver's side just below where the gas pedal is. The liquid is clear, no odor but feels a little slippery and is slightly crystalline when it dries up.

One thing for sure I need to change the coolant. The manual say's Dextron

50/50. Is that correct for South Florida? Thanks.
Reply to
Steve Horrillo

brake fluid perhaps?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

That's not correct for anywhere. DEXRON and DEXTRON are the names of various Automatic Transmission Fluids. DEX-COOL is the trademark for the GM/Texaco second generation, silicate-free coolant. Prestone is available in two flavors -- green (old Ethylene-Glycol) and orange (DEX-COOL). The green stuff should not be put in any current GM cooling system. IIRC, Cadillac made the switch in 1993, Olds Aurora in '95 and the rest of the GM line in '96.

Re-read the manual (Page 7-19 for the '02). Check to see if it reads "DEX-COOL" then read the "Notices" in sections 5 and 6 of the manual regarding silicate coolants.

If there's a mix of coolants in the car, get it flushed and cleared of silicates and whatever other ccntaminants and goo are in there.

When the system is recharged, it's very important to clear it of all air pockets.

Reply to
PJ

Reply to
RicSeyler

Yes it say's DEX-COOL 50/50.

Reply to
NOYB

If the car is parked on a sideways incline, the air conditioning "sweat" will leak out (supposed to) and sit on the driver side by where the gas pedal would be. Happens in my garage all of the time. Particularly annoying since it take 2 or 3 days to dry. I think there is a geyser under my garage. The puddle isn't that big.. lol

-Stan

Charles Spitzer wrote:

I see water in the driveway but it doesn't smell like coolant. It's clear like water. When I add water to the reseviour foam overflows even without the engine running and the engine running 1/4 (like 1 minute) a block to get to my condo's carwash to fill it.. Midas and The Chevy Dealer said they're was no leaks and nothing was wrong. BTW the foam is white and has no particular smell.

Sorry about the crossposting. I thought I was multiposting.

Any chanced that the stuff on the driveway is A/C condensate.

Meanwhile, I agree that it's time to flush the cooling system and replace the coolant (with the correct type.) Then start measuring how much coolant is used to top off this car. I assume some of it is condensate which is locate toward the passenger side front and it's completely clear and odorless, but I sometimes see a small puddle on the ground (not inside the car) on the driver's side just below where the gas pedal is. The liquid is clear, no odor but feels a little slippery and is slightly crystalline when it dries up.

brake fluid perhaps?

One thing for sure I need to change the coolant. The manual say's Dextron

50/50. Is that correct for South Florida? Thanks.
Reply to
sbright