HUD polarization ???

Page 1 of 2
Haven't used polarized sunglasses since mid 1970s. Bought a new set of shades to go with the C5 and opted for polarized lenses. Back in the car, HUD was invisible. Checked with the HUD in mama's car--same also
invisible. Turned glasses 90 degrees and HUD became visible. Anyone else experiencing same problem or did I get a set of screwed up glasses??
PJ
PJ wrote:

Works just fine with polarized lenses for me.
--
Erik Veit ------- Dublin, CA ------- http://homepage.mac.com/zombie67 /

it's specific to the glasses. depends upon which way the polarization is aligned, and the glasses maker doesn't care. try a few different pairs to see if they're all the same. i have a pair that i can't see the speedo in my 94 without tilting my head sideways. it's most annoying.

Erik Veit wrote:

FWIW, the LCD panels in the center stack (no nav) look covered with an oily film, rainbow colors, but still legible.
--
Erik Veit ------- Dublin, CA ------- http://homepage.mac.com/zombie67 /

c5 owners manual mentions that polarized shades can clock the hud image.
I am a dumbass... Please explain what Polarized glasses mean and why they would ruin the HUD projection ? Isn't polarized glass what turns dark in sunlight ? or is that photochromatic ?
I once wondered if I tinted the windscreen a darker shade if the HUD would still work. Would it ?

Is it legal to tint a front class in any vehicle?
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
"E_Tar" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
also here are the laws...
http://www.gilafilms.com/PDF%27s/State%20Law%20Chart%208-9-04.pdf
--
ZRiX (<>..<>)
"E_Tar" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

i guess google is broken today.
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/polarization/polarizationI.html

yes. it still wouldn't be legal.
E_Tar wrote:

Photochomatic.
> I once wondered if I tinted the windscreen a darker shade if the HUD > would still work. Would it ?
It's easy to visualize polarization if you think of light as being carried by point particles that travel along wavy lines. (Yeah, I know this is not accurate physics, but the analogy is good enough for here, okay?) Each particle of light vibrates at a particular angle. This is its angle of polarization.
Polarized glass, or whatever, transmits only light polarized in a particular direction (plane) and stops the rest. You can visualize it as a grid of tiny slits that only pass light that's vibrating parallel to those slits.
Ordinary light is a flood of particles vibrating at all angles. Polarized light all vibrates at the same angle.
Being reflected tends to polarize light.
Polarized sunglasses have their polarization aligned to block preferentially light reflected by certain materials at certain angles, and so can block reflected glare with only a minimal reduction in non-glare light. To that end I think they're all polarized in about the same direction.
Now, the HUD works by reflecting a CRT (embedded in the dash behind some lenses) off the inner surface of the windshield. What you see is that reflection. Since it's reflected light it is polarized and thus susceptible to being blocked by polarized sunglasses, and there's not much to do about it.
As to your last question, if you do anything to change the reflectivity of the inner surface of the windshield, the display is at risk.

just lean you head over 90 degrees when ya want to see HUD. just kiddin :-) real strange problem ya got there..
remind me of the time I got some of them blue-blocker shades. couldn't see the color yellow. yellow looked white for a couple of weeks. had them on when I went to a HD dealership. was looking at a yellow low-rider and told the owner I didn't know he had a white low-rider. he looked at me and said "are you color blind?" I took the shades off and the bike was yellow. I then told the owner to come and look through these shades. he did and couldn't believe it. the Harley rep was in the store at the time. we called him over to look through the shades. I told him that HD didn't need to make different color bikes, just include a pair of these blue-blocker shades with each sale :-)
nuff rambling --
--
"Key"

Photochromic lenses are the ones that turn dark when exposed to light. They were originally only available in glass and called photogray. The last several years they have been available in plastic and polycarbonate materials as well. The most popular brand right now is Transitions.
Polarized lenses contain a filter in the material that doesn't allow light from certain directions to pass through the lens. The most common use is to stop "glare" or reflected light. That's why they're used in many sunglasses for use on the water or snow. If aligned properly they stop the light reflected up from the water or snow. Fisherman love it because they allow them to see into clear water for a few feet to spot fish. Properly aligned they make it tough to see lcd readouts because you are viewing them via reflected light. Same reason they aren't recommended for pilots. If you have a pair that doesn't make such readouts appear black they were either aligned incorrectly or are of such poor quality that they're not doing the job.
Brad (an optician for the last 30 years)

Any LED device is polarized. all diodes are polarized. look at a laptop screen...

I use polarized sun glasses on my boats..removes the glare off the water..in my Vette with the tinted windows ( after market)..I see colors..also see spots on rear windows of other cars and colors on their tinted windows.....not so with my regular sunglasses. All sunglasses seem to destroy the clarity of the digital displays..why in heck don't the auto engineers ever develop these displays to be somewhat sunglass compatible..Don't these clowns ever wear sunglasses when they drive....???? Give us a break guys do your home work..
grayfox wrote:

AFAIK there's no way to build a reflected-light display without it polarizing the light. That's just physics. Also I think most plastics polarize light at least somewhat in transmission, hence issues with window tinting stuff.
Suggest you try a set of aviator's sunglasses, especially with G-15 color-neutral lenses. They do a fine job of cutting glare without changing colors, don't reduce clarity of anything, and do not use polaroid filters. Work fine in my C6 w/ HUD. Bosch & Lomb make a particularly fine set if their price doesn't scare you away.
Rayban G15 Lens are great! I've had several pairs.
Vandervecken wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
RicSeyler wrote:

really think it out (like the pres says, it's "hard work"), I'd have realized that the reflection off windscreen from the HUD is horizontally polarized and the reflection off the road is horizontally polarized too. The glasses are vertical to block the road glare--so they were made correctly--my appologies to American Optical.
So, this is a, "can't have your cake and eat it too" situation. The old G-15's in the C4 get moved to the C5 and the new shades get used for commuting where there's no HUD.
PJ '89 Hooker Car -- '02 C5
Pappy wrote:

Laptop screens are LCD not LED...