Secuirty Light Stays On

Page 2 of 2
RicSeyler wrote:

The the big problem with copying a key is that slight errors in the copy machine (or operator error in seating the "originaL" key) cause the notches in the key to be a couple of 1000s of an inch in error. Ditto the effect of wear--particularly for the shallower notches. This gets worse at places like KMart, or Home Depot.
To make a "key-to-code" my locksmith measures each notch and, knowing what the depth should be for each of the 10 or so different notch depths, picks the closest notch value for each pin position. He then uses a "nipper" sort of tool to cut notches in a new blank to the precise depth. He then smooths the transitions between each notch. This is as precise as an original key from the factory.
I once had a copy made from a copy that was so far in error that it wouldn't always work and was probably chewing up the pins inside the lock. The key to code wouldn't work at all. Locksmith tnen adjusted one notch depth and cut another key -- worked perfectly.
Key can probably explain this with fewer words as I don't know the vocabulary to describe each of the above items.
PJ

a good locksmith shouldn't have to measure anything. should be able to just do tell the bitting just by looking at the key..
my2
--
"Key"

'Key wrote:

Hmmm, Maybe you've hit on something. I think I'm probably paying for some "showmanship." $$$$$ HEHEHE $$$$$
PJ

probably not. many locksmiths do have to have the assistance of machines and measuring equipment. either way, its not "showmanship." it takes many years of training and experience to master any profession. it also takes major investment $$$$$'s in training, tools & equipment, insurance, parts, licensing etc...
g'day to ya
--
"Key"

No code is displayed. Also, the security light hasn't come on since.

(not sure if it has all ready been answered.. and too lazy to check.. :P)
But there is some feature.. I believe its like securelock.. or passlock.. or something. i dont remember off the top of my head.. but it is having problems..
AnytimeAnywhere wrote:

--

-->Jonathan!