05 Dodge Grand Caravan Tachometer

Had some work done on an after market alarm system and now my tachometer has spun completely clockwise and is hitting the peg. Tachometer doesnt move at all now. Speedometer is OK. Have they just unplugged something by accident?

Any ideas welcome. Rather fix it myself than drive all the way back to the alarm place.

db

Reply to
Mandy Brady

TRY THIS!!! take and hold the trip button in on the odometer and turn the ignition key on while still holding it and see if the cluster goes into a self diagnostic mode to reset the gauges.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately none of the gauges responded at all. I also tried disconnecting the battery, but that had no effect either. Where does the tachometer get its information from? Is there a sensor in the transmission that may have gotten unhooked?

db

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
dbu

They will respond. hold the trip button then turn the key on at the same time and keep holding the trip button in.

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks again. I followed your advice, holding the trip button in for at least a minute, and still no sign of life from the tachometer.

Am I doing something wrong?

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
dbu

I don't think it has anything to do with what they did unless the battery went dead on them. I have seen this before and a weak battery will cause the gauges to peg full right. If the gauge bounces on the peg as you start it then you know it is trying to work. When you hold the trip button in as I said does the cluster go into a mode that may give a number where the odometer is? If not you may have to have the dealer take a look at it.