battery/ alternator problem

well I have bought 2 alternators and I still have problems with my battery keeping charge. I go to work in the morning and by the time I get there I have to switch my battery to get back home because it has no charge. My work is only 25 miles away and I don't have anything else on but the essentials. Like I said I replaced the alternator, I don't know if its the computer near the battery. I don't know what to do. Please give me a few examples of what problems it might be and the solutions. I am very desperate. Thank you. victorrono

-- Message posted using

information at

victorrono

Usual suspect.

Most likely it is the starter that is going bad or a short in the horn. It is seldom the alternator that goes first.

Reply to
Les Benn

Check to see if you a have a draw on your battery when everything is shut off?? Maybe something is staying on a killing your battery??

Reply to
jed

Easy way to determine that. Disconnect the battery when you get to work. See if the battery is OK when you reconnect it to come home. Or try to start it as soon as you get to work and see if it is already dead. If it still starts, disconnect it. If it doesn't start when reconnected - bad battery. If it does, draw. If the battery is dead when you get to work, charging system. If you have gotten 2 good alternators, and external regulator, suspect the regulator and pray it's not in the ECU.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Year and model? Is the regulator in the alternator, separate, or in the ECU? It is NOT the starter - almost 100% sure of that if it starts with a new battery.. Not likely the horn either. Stranger things have happenned, but not the first place I'd look. He needs a voltmeter first, and needs to know how to use it. Or find a mechanic.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

well first off what kind of car is it and what year is it

Reply to
truckdriver