Still have steering problems

97SE 5sp, 102k.

Over the last 30k I've noticed my car doesn't hold as tight as before. It sort of is a combination of bounciness and not holding a line. In other words, the car seems to not hold straight when riding over slightly wavy roads. Always used Z-rated Dunlop SP Sport 5000s, and I have the alignment checked often - never needs much adjustment. The front tires have been wearing down pretty fast too. Things I've done:

- 80k: replaced struts (and springs) to Tokico Blues, Suspension Techniques

3/4" drop

- Replaced FSB bushings to Energy urethanes

- Had tie rods, wheel bearings inspected on multiple occasions. No grease or oil leaks or funny stuff anywhere

I'm now thinking it could be inner tie rods or the steering rack. I got a quote of $845 for an aftermarket rack replacement - and as you can imagine that has me excited. I'd prefer to DIY but some of this may be out of my range.

Suggestions?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Have the bushings on the steering rack checked. They may be weak, and could be replaced without replacing the rack.

JM

Reply to
JM

I'm definitely listening. I have the stock 16" alloys, with z-rated 225/55 R16 Dunlop SP Sport 5000s. I've been running these tires since I bought it and I know they alone are not it. Struts are the Tokico blues and springs are Suspension Techniques (3/4" drop I believe).

I still have the original springs/struts in good condition. I thought about switching them back in to see if it had effect, but did not yet bother. Since I have two sets of springs and struts, which combination would you suggest to best tighten its line?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I can't say that's too likely since my symptoms did not change when I added new struts/springs and tires 20k ago. My current tires are only plus sized by 1cm (still stock rims).

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Maybe you misread my previous post... groove wander usually occurs with *worn* wider tires. 20K miles would just about be right to see it start. New wider tires track fine.

Groove wander, if you have it, would occur when the road surface is uneven, cracked, etc. It should be affected by changing tire pressure (not cured, affected). If you have your usual problem on a very flat, straight road, you have something other than groove wander. There is no real test except buying new tires with a new set or trading wheels with a friend for a ride.

I'd have a _good_ front end man check out the front end first. You need a guru. Look for an "auto sport" sort of guy or a specialized tire/front end shop. Your "sport" tunings should not affect the car that greatly - enough to cause wander. However, they might make any problems much more obvious.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Ok,

With the set-up that you have, I don't buy what I said. It usually takes more than just switching to the tokicos (like low profile tires) to cause the wander that you are talking about. The only other thing that I was thinking is that the Z rated tires have alot less spring in them than the stock V rated, but if you say that you've been running them before and not had the problem, I'm afraid that I am at a loss. I don't think that switching back to stock struts will have anything to do with it, but I have no idea what it could be.

Sorry man -

Howard